Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In the below paragraph, I guess even means "equal" like in the case, "I beat you in this game once, and you did me before, so we are even"

".........There was a girl who grew flowers in New Jersey and sometimes took flowers to customers on Staten Island. ....One day, as she was approaching the toll booth, she saw a toll booth attendant who reminded her of her mother.As she reached in her pocket, she found she had no money but a half dollar. Not knowing what to do, she handed the coin to her and asked nervously, "Want to buy a fresh red rose?" The attendant looked surprised at first, but glancing at the cars piling up behind her, she took two dollars from her purse and rang it up on the cash register. "Yes, I'll take it", she said with a smile, "And I suppose the price is two dollars even, right?"

And also could you tell me what ring it up at toll booth actually means? I think it's registering the amount into the money.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Two dollars even' means 'two dollars exactly'.

Yes - she paid the toll for the flower girl and recorded the payment on the cash register.

Rover

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Really? but the dictionary doesn't say anything about "exactly" for "even". No possibility for "equal"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Equal to what?

It means 'two dollars and no cents'.

Rover

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In the below paragraph, I guess even means "equal" like in the case, "I beat you in this game once, and you did me before, so we are even"

".........There was a girl who grew flowers in New Jersey and sometimes took flowers to customers on Staten Island. ....One day, as she was approaching the toll booth, she saw a toll booth attendant who reminded her of her mother.As she reached in her pocket, she found she had no money but a half dollar. Not knowing what to do, she handed the coin to her and asked nervously, "Want to buy a fresh red rose?" The attendant looked surprised at first, but glancing at the cars piling up behind her, she took two dollars from her purse and rang it up on the cash register. "Yes, I'll take it", she said with a smile, "And I suppose the price is two dollars even, right?"

And also could you tell me what ring it up at toll booth actually means? I think it's registering the amount into the money.

Keannu, I think you can learn both "even"s in the above quotations by just one meaning. First, we'd better not say that "even" means "equal" in the first quotation. It means that "From now on you don't owe me and I don't owe you either". Now, let's go to the second quotation. "2 dollors even" means that "you pay me 2 dollors and then I don't owe you and you don't owe me (because the price is exactly 2 dollors and no more or less).

So in my opinion you can understand "even" in both sentences at the same time if you consider it in relation to "to owe somebody", ofcourse not at any time or place but when/where we are talking about money.
--------------------------------------------------
I learn English and at the same time I teach English.
--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
My dictionary says:
even Having an exact amount, extent, or number; precise: an even pound; an even foot.

But that's just the adjectival meaning. Here's what I get from my dictionary, which precisely corresponds to Rover_KE's explanation:
even adv [ME, fr. OE efne, fr. efen, adj.] (bef. 12c) 1 a: exactly, precisely

Status
Not open for further replies.