[Grammar] What is wrong with this sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stedgegirl

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please consider my application recently advertised in the Sunday Heights for the entry-level bookkeeping position.

Is there a comma after application or would i put recently advertised in the Sunday Heights to the end of the sentence.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please consider my application recently advertised in the Sunday Heights for the entry-level bookkeeping position.

Is there a comma after application or would i put recently advertised in the Sunday Heights to the end of the sentence.

You are a native English speaker and I am not. So you know it better than me. I just feel bad about your sentence, I would write it as:

Please consider my application for (or regarding?) the entry-level bookkeeping position recently advertised in (or on?) the Sunday Heights.

As you said, you'd better put it at the end of the sentence.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

[STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Should there be (obviously there isn't now) a comma after "application" or would I put "recently advertised in the Sunday Heights" to the end of the sentence?

Hi and welcome, stedgegirl,

Personally (meaning in my very particular opinion): yes I would add a comma after "application", plus a comma after "Sunday Heights":

Please consider my application, recently advertised in the Sunday Heights, for the entry-level bookkeeping position.

Hope it helps (to breathe while you read, at least) ;-)

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi and welcome, stedgegirl,

Personally (meaning in my very particular opinion): yes I would add a comma after "application", plus a comma after "Sunday Heights":

Please consider my application, recently advertised in the Sunday Heights, for the entry-level bookkeeping position.

Hope it helps (to breathe while you read, at least) ;-)

Greetings,

Charliedeut

I've mixed up! is the application in response to an advertisement? Or the application is itself advertised? :-D

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I've mixed up! is the application in response to an advertisement? Or the application is itself advertised? :-D

Hi Khosro,

You made a point there. It is my guess that the application was published, because it was one requirement to fulfill. That would be the case, for instance, if she were applying for a job in a public (=governement-owned) librabry.

I welcome other interpretations/clarifications.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi Khosro,

You made a point there. It is my guess that the application was published, because it was one requirement to fulfill. That would be the case, for instance, if she were applying for a job in a public (=governement-owned) librabry.

I welcome other interpretations/clarifications.

Greetings,

Charliedeut

Thank you. No need for interpretations, Just a clarification by Stedgegirl herself.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please consider my application for [STRIKE](or regarding?)[/STRIKE] the entry-level bookkeeping position recently advertised in [STRIKE](or on?) [/STRIKE]the Sunday Heights.
I don't think an application can be advertised, only a vacancy/job/post. I'd go for the version above.

Status
Not open for further replies.