Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

Does "super computer" has a special meaning in the following context? It's from the set com "Drew". I can't get what is so humourous about it! what does he mean by "super computers at Drug Co"?

"well I like to hack around on the super-computers down at Drug-Co. Last week I made it illegal for fat people to vote in Alabama. But bald people can vote twice."

Thanks a lot.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear all,

Does "super computer" has a special meaning in the following context? It's from the set com "Drew". I can't get what is so humourous about it! what does he mean by "super computers at Drug Co"?

"well I like to hack around on the super-computers down at Drug-Co. Last week I made it illegal for fat people to vote in Alabama. But bald people can vote twice."

Thanks a lot.

"Super-computers" are very strong computers. they belong to the state and big companies.
You know what is "hack", don't you?
I guess he/she has hacked some super-computers and manipulated some of the informations there. What is humourous is that he had "made it illegal for fat people to vote in Alabama. But bald people can vote twice".

It is funny that fat people are not allowed to vote and bald people can vote twice, specially if the hacker is thin and bald himself. That's what I guess from your quotation.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
"Super-computers" are very strong computers. they belong to the state and big companies.
You know what is "hack", don't you?
I guess he/she has hacked some super-computers and manipulated some of the informations there. What is humourous is that he had "made it illegal for fat people to vote in Alabama. But bald people can vote twice".

It is funny that fat people are not allowed to vote and bald people can vote twice, specially if the hacker is thin and bald himself. That's what I guess from your quotation.

Can we say that it means "fast computers" or "central computers"? "Strong" is not very clear to me.

Thanks a lot

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Also, they have laughed before "the voting" bit. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, supercomputers are very fast.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Can we say that it means "fast computers" or "central computers"? "Strong" is not very clear to me.

Thanks a lot

Supercomputer: "A very powerful computer that can deal with large amounts of information very quickly" (Macmillan advanced learners dictionary).

So they are fast, and I guess central. But if you want to know if they call them also "fast computers" or "central computers", I don't know.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Also, they have laughed before "the voting" bit. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

If so, then we should know what is humourous about "super-computers down at drug-co".
Or perhaps the audience did not expect him/her to be a hacker.
Or perhaps ... (You know it better than me, sometimes those canned laughters does not accompany any humourous point!)

Status
Not open for further replies.