• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I am confused about the two sentences, please help me to understand

1. I shall give a prize to a boy of the school who will be able to complete the work. 2. the boys of the school who will succeed will get prize. according to the rules of adjective clauses the pronoun places after the noun which it qualifies. But here the pronoun is placed after the school, not placed after the boys.please do not advice me.kindly solve this problem.Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I am confused about the two sentences, please help me to understand

Whatever 'please do not advice me' may mean, I imagine it could deter people from giving you advice [which is a noun]. I really don't know what you want.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by indranil View Post
    1. I shall give a prize to a boy of the school who will be able to complete the work. 2. The boys of the school who (will - no) succeed will get a prize. According to the rules of adjective clauses the pronoun is placed after the noun which it qualifies. But here the pronoun is placed after the school, not placed after the boys. Please do not advise me. Kindly solve this problem.Thank you.
    Firstly let's get the sentences right:
    1. I will give a prize to the schoolboy who completes the work - quicker than anyone else; better than anyone else; with the highest mark.
    2. All the boys (of this school) who succeed will get a prize. -- Succeed in what? There should be some mention of the subject in which they are to succeed.

A boy may be able to complete the work but what you desire to say is that he must complete the work.
    Now see my corrections in red. You have been asking questions here before and it is time that you paid attention to capitals and spacing. Show us what you can do and we will help you further. I think you may be too concerned about rules instead of forming sentences which make sense.
    If there is something extra that you need to understand the changes I have made then ask for clarification.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

1." I will give a prize to the schoolboy who completes the work - quicker than anyone else; better than anyone else; with the highest mark."
    2. "All the boys (of this school) who succeed will get a prize." -- Succeed in what? There should be some mention of the subject in which they are to succeed.
    And with quotation marks around the quoted sentences, if you want us to be able to differentiate your question from your examples.