• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

The frantic mob

Please, check the following passage. Thanks.

The frantic mob continued to express its anger by hitting and smashing state symbols. Although in most cases the army did not fire into the protesters, almost 100 people have been killed since the end of the last week in violent incidents in T___a, part of them as a result of participating in the disturbances and others - as victims of private accounts settled between people who, for this end, took advantage of the absence of law and order in the state.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: The frantic mob

What is your question? Check what? Check for what? What is this for? Are you reporting for someone?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Sorry for not being clear. This is a passage I've translated. I would like to know if it is grammatically correcret. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    The frantic mob continued to express its anger by hitting and smashing state symbols. Although in most cases the army did not fire into the protesters, almost 100 people have been killed since the end of the last week in violent incidents in T___a, part (of them) ()as a result of participating in the disturbances and others (-) as victims of private accounts settled between people who (, for this end,) took advantage of the absence of law and order in the state.
    I'd use some instead of part and cut the two dashes; of them is not really necessary.
    I'd also cut for this end - this is implied in took advantage.

Personally, I find your second sentence a little long. I would put a full stop after T____a, and begin a new sentence with: Some were killed as a result of ....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Please, check the following passage. Thanks.

The frantic mob continued to express its anger by hitting and smashing state symbols. Although in most cases the army did not fire into the protesters, almost 100 people have been killed since the end of (the) last week in violent incidents in T___a, (part) of them – as a result of participating in the disturbances and others (-) as victims of private accounts settled between people who, for (this end), took advantage of the absence of law and order in the state.
    As a translation you have done very well. I have bracketed points for you to consider. The is unnecessary in this instance and part is unsuitable in this context whilst this end is unnecessary. But as this is a translation then preferable would be their own ends. The long sentence is too long and needs to be broken up if not into more sentences then certainly by using semi colons.

What concerns me thereafter is the difference between the translation and "Sorry for not being clear. This is a passage I've translated. I would like to know if it is grammatically correcret. Thanks."
    As a translater your aim is not only to be grammatically correct but also to ensure that you retain the meaning and it is understandable. In that respect attention to the smallest detail is important. You should apply that to all your writing - look again at your words highlighted above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    I'd use some instead of part and cut the two dashes; of them is not really necessary.
    I'd also cut for this end - this is implied in took advantage.

Personally, I find your second sentence a little long. I would put a full stop after T____a, and begin a new sentence with: Some were killed as a result of ....
    If I accept your correction on: "Some were killed as a result of…" shouldn't the tense be consistent with that of the previous sentence, i.e.: "Some have been killed as a result of…"?
    Last edited by motico; 04-Feb-2011 at 20:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

No. You can use either.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm not too happy about this 'frantic mob'. Here are the first ten '<adj> + mob' hits in BNC:

TOT
    1 HEAVY MOB 13
    2 OTHER MOB 9
    3 ANGRY MOB 9
    4 CHANTING MOB 5
    5 UNRULY MOB 4
    6 HOSTILE MOB 3
    7 NETTER MOB 3 Maybe they're catching butterflies...
    8 ARMED MOB 3
    9 ENRAGED MOB 2
    10 FRENZIED MOB 2...
    There are 83 more - not a single 'frantic mob': British National Corpus (BYU-BNC)

Of course, this isn't to say 'frantic mob' is wrong; I'd just expect a mob to be frenzied or angry or violent or unruly or something.

b