• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

icy

Hello!

I'm wondering what a native speaker would think if they heard a sentence like this:

It's pretty icy today.

Does "icy" here mean "cold" or "slippery"? Should I say "It's slippery today" to avoid any ambiguity?

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: icy

Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    Hello!

I'm wondering what a native speaker would think if they heard a sentence like this:

It's pretty icy today.

Does "icy" here mean "cold" or "slippery"? Should I say "It's slippery today" to avoid any ambiguity?

Thank you!
    If somebody said to me "It's icy today", I would take that as meaning that there was ice on the ground and therefore potentially slippery.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Having recently had an ice storm, it means that the streets, sidewalks, cars, etc. are covered with ice.
    Edit: Sorry, when I started this post there was no reply. I got distracted and now I"m late again!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If somebody said to me "It's icy today", I would take that as meaning that there was ice on the ground and therefore potentially slippery.

It's an interesting word, icy. I agree that 'It's icy' means 'There's ice on the ground', so that it means 'characterized by the presence of ice'. But when put together with many nouns it means 'having the characteristics of ice - specifically its coldness' - 'icy blast',' icy temperature', 'icy winds' ...(not to mention the metaphorical 'icy reception', 'icy welcome', 'icy meeting'...)

b