Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

I'm wondering what a native speaker would think if they heard a sentence like this:

It's pretty icy today.

Does "icy" here mean "cold" or "slippery"? Should I say "It's slippery today" to avoid any ambiguity?

Thank you!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!

I'm wondering what a native speaker would think if they heard a sentence like this:

It's pretty icy today.

Does "icy" here mean "cold" or "slippery"? Should I say "It's slippery today" to avoid any ambiguity?

Thank you!
If somebody said to me "It's icy today", I would take that as meaning that there was ice on the ground and therefore potentially slippery.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having recently had an ice storm, it means that the streets, sidewalks, cars, etc. are covered with ice.
Edit: Sorry, when I started this post there was no reply. I got distracted and now I"m late again!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If somebody said to me "It's icy today", I would take that as meaning that there was ice on the ground and therefore potentially slippery.
:up:

It's an interesting word, icy. I agree that 'It's icy' means 'There's ice on the ground', so that it means 'characterized by the presence of ice'. But when put together with many nouns it means 'having the characteristics of ice - specifically its coldness' - 'icy blast',' icy temperature', 'icy winds' ...(not to mention the metaphorical 'icy reception', 'icy welcome', 'icy meeting'...)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.