Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Dear teachers...

Could you help me understand the difference, if any, between 'that' and 'which' in this sentence?

I arrived from a trip to Africa, __that/which_ provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.

I believe both work there.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The comma makes this a non-defining relative clause, in which only which is possible.

Without a comma, it becomes a non-defining clause, in which which can be, and often is, replaced by that with no change in meaning.

That can also replace who in defining relative clauses.

I had tea with the friend who/that worked with me in china.
I had tea with my friend, who[STRIKE] that[/STRIKE] worked with me in China.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers...

Could you help me understand the difference, if any, between 'that' and 'which' in this sentence?

I arrived from a trip to Africa, __that/which_ provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.

I believe both work there.

Thanks.
I think you can use either, but I would use the past perfect there "had provided".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Oops I didn't notice the comma.:oops:

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I think you can use either, but I would use the past perfect there "had provided".
I am not sure I follow:

I arrived from a trip to Africa that/which had provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.
I arrived from a trip to Africa that/which provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.

Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I arrived from a trip to Africa that/which had provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.
2. I arrived from a trip to Africa that/which provided me with all kinds of fresh evidence of the importance of politics.
Bhaisahab would use a past perfect, as in #1, which makes it crystal clear that the trip providing fresh evidence took place before the arrival.

I think the context makes it clear, and that the past simple in #2 is sufficient.

I am still reasonably happy with my opinion, but if I now had to choose between the two versions, I would probably go for bhaisa's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.