Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
[FONT=&quot]If the money does not arrive at Aurelio’s house before the night comes, Aurelio will surrender Venus and Milagros to the police for the reward money on top of their heads.

Thank you!
[/FONT]

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What do you mean by "on top of their heads"? Is it an idiom?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand the sentence. If the money (from whom?) doesn't come, Aurelio will act lawfully, but if the money comes, he will act unlawfully?

Kristine May

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
The context is Venus is being searched by the police because of a crime she did not commit. Somebody, who is the real suspect and who had been wanting to kill Venus, framed Venus up and released reward money for whoever can surrender Venus to the police. Now, Aurelio found Venus and blackmailed her foster mother, Lolita, who had been protecting her that if Lolita cannot give Aurelio the money he asks, Aurelio will surrender Venus to the police and get the reward money instead.

Please help! THANKS SO MUCH! :)

Kristine May

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
@birdeen's call:

Yes, I was meaning "on top of their heads" as an idiom. I'm hoping I got it right. :-?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
@birdeen's call:

Yes, I was meaning "on top of their heads" as an idiom. I'm hoping I got it right. :-?
But what does this idiom mean? I never heard it and I can't find it in any dictionary.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
The usage is typically: "They killed a man and left town, now the cops have put a $10,000 reward/bounty on their heads".
You could say ".. for the reward on their heads" or just ".. for the reward/bounty money". Other possibilities: ".. for the reward that's been posted", ".. for the reward that's up for grabs". Depending on the tone of the rest of the writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.