Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi,

1) "Come online to Yahoo!" is correct?

2) "I want to see you on the web cam OR through the web cam." ?

3) "Write it on your notebook OR in your notebook." ?

4) "Did you go to photocopy these documents?" Correct?

5) "I put your letter under the keyboard, pick it from there." Correct

Many thanks in advance

azcl

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***Not a teacher***

1) "Come online to Yahoo!" is correct?

Internet/computing language is often idiomatic and full of technically acceptable phrases that may not appear gramatially correct - so lots of things are acceptable in this sort of speech.

I may just say 'Go online to Yahoo', or more likely in a conversation about computing with someone who was familiar with using a web browser 'Go to Yahoo'. A more verbose way of putting it would be "Open a browser and navigate to Yahoo". I would not generally use 'Come online...'.

2) "I want to see you on the web cam OR through the web cam." ?

Again, it's quite idiomatic, but I'd probably say "I want to see you on the web cam", "Let's Skype via web cam" etc

3) "Write it on your notebook OR in your notebook." ?

'In your notebook' if you are talking about the paper type (rather than an HP Notebook) - unless you want someone to write on the cover (e.g.write your name on your notebook').

4) "Did you go to photocopy these documents?" Correct?

You can say this, although the 'go to + verb' construction is probably less likely here than some others, unless you want to emphasize the 'going' element of the sentence for some reason. In other words:
'Did you photocopy these documents?' might be more likely
'Did you go to the bank?' is ok (go to + article + noun)
I assume you didn't mean 'Did you get to photocopy these documents?', meaning 'did you manage to get round to photocopying these documents?'

5) "I put your letter under the keyboard, pick it from there." Correct

Not quite - either '...pick it up from there', or '...get it from there.' Also I would probably use a semi-colon rather than a comma in that sentence.

Ade

Status
Not open for further replies.