Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, sorry if this isnt the right place for this posting. This sentence has quite a bit of commas and I was hoping the get someone to look it over.

To his side, at times, would sit a dog, and not always the same dog, just any passerby willing to offer friendship, a tail wag for a pat on the head.

Maybe there should be a semicolon somewhere? Not sure, thanks for any help.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi, sorry if this isn't the right place for this posting. This sentence has quite a few commas, and I was hoping to get someone to look it over.

To his side, at times, would sit a dog, and not always the same dog. It could be any passerby willing to offer friendship or a tail wag for a pat on the head.

That's how I would write it.

Sythik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the reply. I went with this:

By his side, at times, would sit a dog. Not always the same dog but any passing stray willing to offer friendship and a tailwag for a pat on the head.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I went with this:

By his side, at times, would sit a dog. Not always the same dog but any passing stray willing to offer friendship and a tailwag for a pat on the head.
"Not always the same dog but any passing stray willing to offer friendship and a tailwag for a pat on the head." is not a sentence.

Sythik

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was afraid of that. I was giving that example from a different thread here in the ask a teacher section. I turned in my essay before seeing your example. I liked yours better, but I was to late to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.