Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!

My colleague wrote the following sentence today:

After I finished pedagogical institute, I undertook postgraduate studies.

I don't really like this 'pedagogical institute' phrase. As far as I know, there isn't such a thing in English-speaking countries. However, the phrase is a word-by-word translation from Russian; the lady actually studied at institute (which is considered a higher educational institution a rank lower than a university). I also doubt the term 'pedagogical' sounds fine to native speakers' ears.
Should we change it to "teachers' training university' or something? Should we keep the original translation (considering the target reader is native speakers)?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Yes, Verona, you are on the right track. We would say Teachers' Training College which is not a university but used by both graduates and non graduates.
As for the translation I suggest that the dictionary your colleague is using is not the best.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think there are many Teacher Training Colleges that still go by that name left in Britain today. I don't know where teachers are trained in other English-speaking countries.

Your colleague could always say, "When/After I (had) qualified as a teacher", or "After training/qualifying as a teacher." That should be clear to everybody.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
So if she said 'institute' (having 'higher educational establishment' in mind), would she be misunderstood?

I'm asking this question because a lot of people graduated from institutes which were very common in Russia up until the 90s. Then some of them were 'upgraded' and received a universtity status. We also have colleges, but people don't get higher education there (but in institutes they do). Anyway, it's always difficult dealing with cultural differences.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So if she said 'institute' (having 'higher educational establishment' in mind), would she be misunderstood?
She might
We also have colleges, but people don't get higher education there (but in institutes they do). Anyway, it's always difficult dealing with cultural differences.
That's why I suggested that your colleague avoid naming the institution/college.deaprtment/university/faculty,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.