• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

landslide / running mate

Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?

Reagan was nominated by a landslide; the most dramatic event of the convention involved the choice of a running mate.

a landslide = an overwhelming election victory

running mate = the candidate or nominee for the lesser of two closely associated political offices

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V
    Last edited by vil; 07-Feb-2011 at 15:40.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: landslide / running mate

I can't find poaching.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: landslide / running mate

Hi Rover_KE,

Here are a few words concerning the mysterious and “unknown” expression which was a subject of research in another my post from remote past and unfortunately was laid as many others my post aside disparagingly from the excessively overburden and busy English Teachers.

"Fashion is important to David, so he always selects the latest and most popular poaching style."
    Although this depends on context, I would submit that it refers to a period, early in the 19th century when those of the upper classes, when hunting and fishing, began to emulate the clothing of gamekeepers and ghillies.
    This then began a fashion for wearing "sports clothing" . Gentlemen took to wearing clothing like "plus fours", deerstalker hats (viz. Sherlock Holmes") and tweed jackets. These clothes were copies of the clothing worn by the aforementioned gamekeepers, and of course, were fashion rather than function (a little similar to the fashion for trainers and jogging suits today). Until quite recently, casual jackets were called "sports jackets" in the UK. The reference to "poaching", I would hazard, is an alternative to "sports" - as poachers wore functional clothing, like "plus fours" when they went about their business. "Sports" in this context (i.e. "gentlemen's clothing) refers to the "noble" sports practised by the aristocracy, hunting and fishing.

Thank God, there are many others forums in Internet where everyone may get an answer and by them without disparaging and biting remarks of the mentioned above work-worn English Teachers.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 08-Feb-2011 at 19:19.