• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Lightbulb Tips please!

Hello! I am so lucky to have found this website and hope that you can help me with my doubts. I am not a teacher, nor do I have a degree, but I am from the U.S. and residing in Europe. I have decided to start tutoring English in my home, and so far I have a few "students" who are interested in conversational English. They are all adults and most of them seem to just want to talk, but I think that more should be included in the classes. I would appreciate it if anyone would offer me some tips on how to better these sessions. Thank you so much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Tips please!

Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post
    Hello! I am so lucky to have found this website and hope that you can help me with my doubts. I am not a teacher, nor do I have a degree, but I am from the U.S. and residing in Europe. I have decided to start tutoring English in my home, and so far I have a few "students" who are interested in conversational English. They are all adults and most of them seem to just want to talk, but I think that more should be included in the classes. I would appreciate it if anyone would offer me some tips on how to better these sessions. Thank you so much.
    Welcome!

I think that if you want them to continue being your students you should largely follow their wishes. If they want you to correct their significant English errors or correct their pronunciation when warranted, you will have a chance to do do something besides just chatting.
    But generally your class should set the agenda, in keeping with what they want to get out of their time with you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

The customer is always right!

And they would be right anyway. Finding someone to talk to in a second language is often learners' biggest problem. I, too, would want to talk as much as possible if I were your student.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Thank you very much for your replies! They are greatly appreciated. I just thought that maybe I should introduce vocabulary, idioms, slang, etc... to make it more educational for them. Also, these classes normally last an hour and finding a subject can be difficult sometimes... I guess until I actually get to know them and start feeling more comfortable it will be like this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Why not discuss it with you students? You could for example agree to read the newspaper before the class and discuss the current events. Or something like this, there are many talking topics in the world.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

If your students were interested, you could suggest a theme for your next meeting, and they could think about it between classes. You could arrange the theme so that it called for different aspects of grammar:
    - Discuss the story of a film/book you've seen/read. This requires the past tense.
    - Talk about what you'd do if you won $10mill in the lottery. - conditional constructs.
    - What are your plans for your next holiday? Future tense needed.
    You could think of themes that gave them a good workout with modal verbs, passive constructions, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Thank you all so much. I can't thank you enough since these are very helpful suggestions. But here is a tough one: what about teaching conversation to kids? I need to find games that are meant for this. Thanks!