Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do you ever say "desktop" meaning top of a desk? Lots of dictionaries define it as a computer related thing.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Do you ever say "desktop" meaning top of a desk? Lots of dictionaries define it as a computer related thing.

NOT A TEACHER.

I don't think so. A desk doesn't have a top. Assuming that it did, imagine putting something on the bottom of the desk. Where would that be? Under the desk?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
NOT A TEACHER.

I don't think so. A desk doesn't have a top. Assuming that it did, imagine putting something on the bottom of the desk. Where would that be? Under the desk?

So If I say "Wipe the desktop", would you understand it as "You've got to wipe the upper part of a desk" or "You've got to wipe the computer that is on top of a desk"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The computer desktop is a metaphor for an actual top of an actual desk. Or a desktop, in simple words.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes of course. This is why the computer received the name, it was located on the desktop.

Not a teacher

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So would you actually say something like, "Put the book on the desktop"? I would just say, "Put the book on the desk."

I would like to back you up there by saying ''Yes. I don't get to hear that". Many folks would say wipe the desk. I'm going to type an extraction and I would appreciate it if you said how you understand it.

It's about the western stereotype of Japanese women that fit in the 60s. "

"You've got to come to work 30 minutes before the men show up. Wipe the desktops, clean the ashtrays and serve everyone tea."

It's about one of the first women in Japan who was appointed a senior staff writer. I translated "desktop" into my native language as "computer". We do say things like "desktop publishing", don't we?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
I would like to back you up there by saying ''Yes. I don't get to hear that". Many folks would say wipe the desk. I'm going to type an extraction and I would appreciate it if you said how you understand it.

"You've got to come to work 30 minutes before the men show up. Wipe the desktops, clean the ashtrays and serve everyone tea."

It's about one of the first women in Japan who was appointed a senior staff writer. I translated "desktop" into my native language as "computer". We do say things like "desktop publishing", don't we?

I don't think the desktop in your sentence is a computer desktop; it's just the working surface of a desk.

To wipe a computer desktop would probably mean to move the files on it to the Recycle Bin.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I don't think the desktop in your sentence is a computer desktop; it's just the working surface of a desk.

To wipe a computer desktop would probably mean to move the files on it to the Recycle Bin.

Thank y'all :)! Got a clear answer.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

I just noticed that you wrote "in the 60s." There were probably no computers back then, so you can safely rule out the possibility of a desktop in the sense of a computer desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.