Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Hi all ,
I have heard people saying : "Hit me up when you can." or similar , I studied it and found out means call me later. Some say it's not very positive way of saying it. Is it ok if I use in daily conversatoins ? for example a guy telling me to go and see him whenever I go to their city , and I respond " I'll hit you up ? "

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all ,
I have heard people saying : "Hit me up when you can." or similar , I studied it and found out means call me later. Some say it's not very positive way of saying it. Is it ok if I use in daily conversatoins ? for example a guy telling me to go and see him whenever I go to their city , and I respond " I'll hit you up ? "

I have never heard the expression used in that way (AmE). However, I have heard it used in reference to borrowing money as in "He hit me up for 50 dollars and never paid me back".

arash57

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I have never heard the expression used in that way (AmE). However, I have heard it used in reference to borrowing money as in "He hit me up for 50 dollars and never paid me back".

I heard it here in California.Online dictionaries have it too. Im not sure of in which circumstances and contexts should be used and whats the impression.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To hit up is to ask for money.

You would want to "look up" someone when you come to their town.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Twenty plus years ago we said "hit me up" only when asking to borrow money. Now it does *also* mean "contact me" -- at least in my region of the US.

Not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is another good example of why you shouldn't use slang unless it's simply part of your vocabulary naturally.

If someone said that to me, I'd wonder why they thought I wanted to borrow money.

arash57

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thanks all for your replies and clarifying..
I think I'd better ignore using it.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Twenty plus years ago we said "hit me up" only when asking to borrow money. Now it does *also* mean "contact me" -- at least in my region of the US.

Not a teacher
Where are you from in the States?

Status
Not open for further replies.