• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

If it was true for the minister

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what "If it was true for the minister" means in the following context:

The emperor touched on a universal truth: the Buddha is a human beingwho becomes enlightened. Therefore, the potential for Buddhahood exists in all human hearts. If it was true for the minister to point to the Buddha in the emperor, then the same was also true for the minister and everyone else. We willall become Buddhas in the future—it isn't a matter of if but when.

Does "If it was true for the minister" mean "if the minister did a right thing"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: If it was true for the minister

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask what "If it was true for the minister" means in the following context:

The emperor touched on a universal truth: the Buddha is a human beingwho becomes enlightened. Therefore, the potential for Buddhahood exists in all human hearts. If it was true for the minister to point to the Buddha in the emperor, then the same was also true for the minister and everyone else. We willall become Buddhas in the future—it isn't a matter of if but when.

Does "If it was true for the minister" mean "if the minister did a right thing"?
    Was this written by an English native speaker? It sounds wrong in a few places.
    In any case, I think this phrase is supposed to mean, "If what the minister said was true" or "If it were true that the Buddha was in the emperor's heart, as the minister pointed out ..."
    In proper English, something you say can be true or false, but saying it can't be true or false.
    (The passage is also full of logical flaws, but that might be due to the poor expression).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: If it was true for the minister

Thank you very much, Raymott.

Well, I know for sure only that the book of this author was published in the USA.