Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
"rate" is a countable noun.

Therefore, which of the sentences below are correct?

1. The increase in a crime rate is in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

2. The increase in crime rate is in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

3. The increase in crime rates are in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

Thank you very much indeed.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"rate" is a countable noun.

Therefore, which of the sentences below are correct?

1. The increase in a crime rate is in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

2. The increase in crime rate is in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

3. The increase in crime rates are in direct proportion to the number of unemployed.

Thank you very much indeed.
You missed, 4., 5. "The increase in the crime rate/s is/are in direct proportion to the number of unemployed."
They could all be right in the appropriate context. 2. is probably the most useful and generic.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say "the increase in the crime rate..." (Or rates, if you had different figures for different categories of crime.)

panicmonger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
2. is probably the most useful and generic.

In no. 2, there is no article before the countable noun 'rate', but it is still grammatical. Could you tell me the reason why it is correct?

Thank you again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In no. 2, there is no article before the countable noun 'rate', but it is still grammatical. Could you tell me the reason why it is correct?

Thank you again.

It's difficult to explain why something is correct. Why do you think it's incorrect?
"Crime rate" doesn't have to be countable. You could consider it an abstract noun. There are a lot of places where an article is not necessary.
"The increase in temperature is due to ... "
"The increase in reading among 5 year olds ..."
"The increase in volume of the dam ..."

panicmonger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
It's difficult to explain why is correct. Why do you think it's incorrect?
"Crime rate" doesn't have to be countable. You could consider it an abstract noun. There are a lot of places where an article is not necessary.
"The increase in temperature is due to ... "
"The increase in reading among 5 year olds ..."
"The increase in volume of the dam ..."

I considered it wrong because there is a rule that a determiner must be placed before any countable noun, no matter what contexts, we cannot leave a countable noun with no reference with it.

But after reading your reply, I think there is an exception to this rule.
Maybe when we emphasize on the type of noun but not its quantity, we can use countable nouns on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.