• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

was going to ask?

People might say "I was going to ask you." meaning that they wanted but didn't ask. I've been hearing a slightly different use of this sentence in the coverage form Egypt that Al Jazeera's been doing. For instance " I was going to ask you, what do you make of the international community's reaction to the events in Egypt?". I was going to=been going to?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: was going to ask?

***Not a teacher***

"I was going to ask you...."

Literally means, 'in the past, I intended to ask you at a future point....'

It is commonly used in cases where someone tells you something that you were intending to ask about in any case:

"I had a really enjoyable evening last night"
    "Ah - I was going to ask you about that"

Sometimes if you are speaking to someone and you are intending to ask them a question, but keep getting interrupted, or do not get an opportunity to ask a question, in this case you might say:
    "I was going to ask you, what you think of the new system of government".

In the example you have given, it is quite difficult to tell what was meant exactly without a bit more detail, but it could be one of the above, or could simply be a means of 'softening' a question.

"What do you make of the international community's reaction to the events in Egypt?" may appear a bit blunt, so sometimes in conversation, there can be a slightly redundant clause to introduce the question more gently. Some examples might be:

"What would you say if I were to ask you what you make of...."
    "Can I ask you what you make of....."
    "I've been meaning to ask what you make of...."
    "I was going to ask what you make of...."

So it may be a softening of the question, or it could be genuinely that the interviewer had been meaning to ask the question, but had not got round to it. The latter seems more likely to me from the information you have given.

Ade

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: was going to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by azcl View Post
    ***Not a teacher***

"I was going to ask you...."

Literally means, 'in the past, I intended to ask you at a future point....'

It is commonly used in cases where someone tells you something that you were intending to ask about in any case:

"I had a really enjoyable evening last night"
    "Ah - I was going to ask you about that"

Sometimes if you are speaking to someone and you are intending to ask them a question, but keep getting interrupted, or do not get an opportunity to ask a question, in this case you might say:
    "I was going to ask you, what you think of the new system of government".

In the example you have given, it is quite difficult to tell what was meant exactly without a bit more detail, but it could be one of the above, or could simply be a means of 'softening' a question.

"What do you make of the international community's reaction to the events in Egypt?" may appear a bit blunt, so sometimes in conversation, there can be a slightly redundant clause to introduce the question more gently. Some examples might be:

"What would you say if I were to ask you what you make of...."
    "Can I ask you what you make of....."
    "I've been meaning to ask what you make of...."
    "I was going to ask what you make of...."

So it may be a softening of the question, or it could be genuinely that the interviewer had been meaning to ask the question, but had not got round to it. The latter seems more likely to me from the information you have given.

Ade
    You've been realy helpful. Since I was watching an online footage, it must have been an introduction of the question. Thanks a lot for your help. Did you hear someone say "I've been going to....." when introducing the question?
    Last edited by ostap77; 09-Feb-2011 at 01:01.