• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

of a high degree

A.1.The glass is of a high degree of transparency.
    2.He is a man of high degree. My trouble is why there is an " a" before the first high but before the second high without it?

B.In a Chinese book by a famous professor the author says:" I advise you to be in a hurry, and Don't be in a hurry,should be changed into I advise you to hurry up ,and Don't hurry." But somewhere else I came across " Don't be in such a hurry." What 's your ideas on it? Please!

C. Which is right between "in a bad humour" and "in bad humour"?

Thank you for your advice!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: of a high degree

Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    A.1.The glass is of a high degree of transparency.
    2.He is a man of high degree. My trouble is why there is an " a" before the first high but before the second high without it?

B.In a Chinese book by a famous professor the author says:" I advise you to be in a hurry, and Don't be in a hurry,should be changed into I advise you to hurry up ,and Don't hurry." But somewhere else I came across " Don't be in such a hurry." What 's your ideas on it? Please!

C. Which is right between "in a bad humour" and "in bad humour"?

Thank you for your advice!
    sentence A.1
    You can really assign a number to transparency. there may be different glasses with different degrees of transparency which can be measured scientifically. But when you just say "high" and don't mention any numbers then it could be 70 out of 100 or 80 ou of 100 or 90 out of 100. it is not precise and for this reason we say "a high degree". We say "a" because we only know that it is high and we don't know the exact number.

sentence A.2
    Here you should read "high" and "degree" together , you should read "high degree" as a phrase. We are not talking about numbers anymore. "high degree" here just means "importance" , "greatness", ... , so you don't need to say "a" or "the" before it.

About your second question. Tell us why you want or suggest to change it? Do you think the translation is wrong? Why?

About your third question. It's written in my dictionary that you can say it with "a" or without "a".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: of a high degree

About your second question. Tell us why you want or suggest to change it? Do you think the translation is wrong? Why?

As for " A and C" I agree with you and express my great thanks to you.
    About "B" ,the author says the former ( I advise you to be in a hurry, and Don't be in a hurry.) is wrong.We should not say like that.
    Thanks!