Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?
Rocky relations between Japan and South Korea over disputed islands

"I was not informed about the selection of Leon Panetta to be the CIA director," she said in a statement. "My position has consistently been that I believe the agency is best served by having an intelligence professional in charge at this time." As the incoming chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has the responsibility for presiding over Panetta's confirmation hearing and is indicating she might oppose the nomination.
Clearly, she is not happy. To figure out why she's upset, you need go any further than the first line of her statement, which again brings to mind the rocky relations between the incoming Carter Administration and the Democrats on Capitol Hill. You just can't make an announcement of this magnitude without letting the relevant committee chairman know in advance and without giving them the opportunity to offer their opinion. It's a rookie mistake that, hopefully for Obama's mistake, won't happen again.
rocky relations = strained / tense relations
rookie = an untrained or inexperienced recruit, an inexperienced person; a novice
rookie mistake = the act when someone makes a mistake that is so stupid, he is considered a rookie at it. The person must be called a rookie until the event is forgotten about, which in most cases takes a long time.
rookie mistakes = they're mistakes I can look back on and learn from, but that I could have avoided at the time if I had slowed down and been more thoughtful about where I was going and what I was doing.
[FONT=&quot]make a rookie mistake = doing something prematurity, like an inexperienced person[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Thank you for your efforts.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]V.[/FONT]

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
You've got it just about right, vil. Rookie essentially refers to someone new and inexperienced.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.