• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

What does this mean?

Dear all,

There are many expressions in the following sentences that I can't get at all. It was said to a boxer.

YOU'VE GOT TO RUN AGAINST THIS GUY. LET HIM PUNCH HIMSELF OUT, TAKE HIM TO THE BODY, RIGHT? GET INSIDE, SWITCH STANCES LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO WORK HIS RIGHT, HIT HIM ON THE LEFT.

What is the meaning of:

1- "punch himaelf out right"
    2- "take him to the body"
    3- "get inside, switch stances"

If you just can provide any simple rephrase

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What does this mean?

It's boxing talk.

"Let him punch himself out" means "keep letting him throw punches at you until he gets tired."

A stance is the way you are standing and holding your arms.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    It's boxing talk.

"Let him punch himself out" means "keep letting him throw punches at you until he gets tired."

A stance is the way you are standing and holding your arms.
    Thanks a lot.

But what about "take him to the body"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm not sure. Probably means "let him hit you in the body, not in the head."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The boxer is being instructed to avoid getting hit, then to feign a move before delivering a blow.

There are two ways of dodging a punch (or the power of a punch): by being outside the range of the incoming punch or by being so close to the opponent that he can not swing his arm.

You've got to run against this guy = use foot work to stay outside of the opponent's punching range.

Let him punch himself out = let your opponent expend his energy and tire in trying to hit you, whilst you conserve yours.

Take him to the body = Bear hug / grapple your opponent so that he can not swing a punch.

Get inside, switch stances... = move inside your opponents range when he swings a punch, stand as if you intend to attack your opponent's righthand side, then change your foot work in order to attack your opponent's lefthand side.

In my mind's eye, the boxer is being instructed to move inside, leading with left hand jabs (feigning an attack to the opponent's right), before delivering a knockout blow with the right hand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by magimagicE View Post
    The boxer is being instructed to avoid getting hit, then to feign a move before delivering a blow.

There are two ways of dodging a punch (or the power of a punch): by being outside the range of the incoming punch or by being so close to the opponent that he can not swing his arm.

You've got to run against this guy = use foot work to stay outside of the opponent's punching range.

Let him punch himself out = let your opponent expend his energy and tire in trying to hit you, whilst you conserve yours.

Take him to the body = Bear hug / grapple your opponent so that he can not swing a punch.

Get inside, switch stances... = move inside your opponents range when he swings a punch, stand as if you intend to attack your opponent's righthand side, then change your foot work in order to attack your opponent's lefthand side.

In my mind's eye, the boxer is being instructed to move inside, leading with left hand jabs (feigning an attack to the opponent's right), before delivering a knockout blow with the right hand.

I REALLY don't know how can I thank you for that thorough explanation. I thought that "run against him" just means "meet him" or "battle" him but it turned out that it has a deeper technical meaning!!

Thanks a lot. I'll add that to my boxing glossary!