South Korea
On more than one occasion, I have been subjected to male interviewers
condescending remarks on how inspiring it is that someone of my age
would go back to school or it my husband would object to my relocating
for work purposes.

I regret to say that the gender gap is alive and well in today's job
marketplace.

[Question]
I can't understand well above senteces as I don't know what underlined phrase and word mean.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
On more than one occasion, I have been subjected to male interviewers' condescending remarks on how inspiring it is that someone of my age would go back to school or if my husband would object to my relocating for work purposes.

I regret to say that the gender gap is alive and well in today's job marketplace.

Kim.
The text seems to be about a married woman who has gone back to school to learn a trade or profession. In the first paragraph she says that men who interview her about this situation often ask her questions she finds to be condescending or offensive. By saying "I have been subjected to" she means "I have had to endure/put up with these questions and remarks". Sometimes people say they have been on the receiving end of an offensive remark, which has a similar meaning.
In the second example the idiomatic phrase is "alive and well". This can simply refer to a person or animal "still living and in good health": "He came in from the desert after ten days, alive and well". But it often refers to systems, ideas and attitudes etc: "Would you say democracy was alive and well in that country?". So she is saying that in the job market the attitude that women should be treated differently, putting them at a disadvantage, is still strong, still widely held... that attitude is alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.