• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

tricky meaning???

I'm just telling you in advance that I don't have the context. Sorry once again I've been given a set of sentences to translate so I'm going to be asking a lot of questions since there are certain doubts regarding the meaning. I'll start with the following one.

"She says that as I have my friends down here she doesn't see why she shouldn't have hers. She's asking Bob Delon". -"Is he the one?"

1)Can we use "ask" for "invite" without a preposition in this sentence?

I would use it with either "out" or "to" or any other preposition that would fit in the context.

2)For me she might have meant something like "I've been thinking a lot about him. I've called him so I'm seeing John tonight. Or she migh have been talking with him on the phone trying to fix a time " meaning a point in the future not present.??????

3)Regarding "as I have my friens down here." Does it mean that he asked his friends to come over? Or it just that they took up residence in another town and he made friends there?
    Last edited by ostap77; 09-Feb-2011 at 22:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: tricky meaning???

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    Gil
    Sorry for being a pain in the b.... But I'd very much like to get a tiny bit of advice regarding 2).Since she's already invided Bob, does it mean that he's in the house or he's coming over in a while? Why did he use a present progressive when talking to his friends?

Would it be similar to this "I'm getting a new job."? It would mean that I'm not working there but I've already been to the job interview and got the OK from the boss?

"to have friends down"=invite friends? Are they staying for a while or just came to the party?
    Last edited by ostap77; 10-Feb-2011 at 03:04.