• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

the sounds?

"The text introduces students to different regions of the United States and acquaints them with the history and culture of the sounds that make it unique."

1) Is it "to different regions" or " to the different regions" since there are five regions in the US?

2)Does "the sounds" mean "accents"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: the sounds?

"The text introduces students to various regions of the United States and acquaints them with the history and culture of the sounds that make it unique." would have been clearer.

But anyway, an author who said "the different regions" would have been obliged to deal with all of the regions. Omission of the definite article admits the possibility that only some regions will be covered in the text.

It is hard to be certain about the scope of meaning of "sounds" without more context. But in view of the phrase "history and culture" the sounds that make regions unique would probably include characteristic music, for example blues in the south, bluegrass in Appalachia, jazz in New Orleans, and zydeco in Louisiana. Other cultural sounds that make a region unique might be characteristic regional idioms, slang and other regional usages such as "y'all" and "all y'all" in the south.

Accents might also be included, but probably not given the difficulty of describing accents to a general audience that is unfamiliar with linguistic technicalities such as the representation of phonemes.
    Last edited by probus; 10-Feb-2011 at 05:38.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Also, "regions" don't necessarily have to be the official regions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The text introduces students to different regions of the United States and acquaints them with the history and culture of the sounds that make it unique."

1) Is it "to different regions" or " to the different regions" since there are five regions in the US?

2)Does "the sounds" mean "accents"?

1) I believe "to different regions" is correct, because I don't think it's really true that the U.S. only has 5 regions! (However, I'm sure that some books try to simplify it that way.)

2) The last part of the sentence makes no sense to me! I think maybe they were trying to say:
    "...acquaints them with the history, and culture, of the and sounds that make it each region unique."

In any case, yes, it's very possible that they are referring to the accents of different regions of the U.S. However, it is also possible that the sentence is referring to the music of the region, since we often use phrases like "the sounds of New Orleans" or "the sound of Philadelphia" or "the Motown sound" to refer to musical styles and genres.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by mayita1usa View Post
    1) I believe "to different regions" is correct, because I don't think it's really true that the U.S. only has 5 regions! (However, I'm sure that some books try to simplify it that way.)

2) The last part of the sentence makes no sense to me! I think maybe they were trying to say:
    "...acquaints them with the history, and culture, of the and sounds that make it each region unique."

In any case, yes, it's very possible that they are referring to the accents of different regions of the U.S. However, it is also possible that the sentence is referring to the music of the region, since we often use phrases like "the sounds of New Orleans" or "the sound of Philadelphia" or "the Motown sound" to refer to musical styles and genres.
    Thanks.The way you changed it sounds a lot better to me.