Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1)"Insofar as there is a dominant belief in our society today, it is a belief in the magic of the market place."

OR

2)"Insofar as there has been a dominant belief in our society today, it is the belief in magic of the market place."

3)"Taras Shevchenko, a Ukrainian poet, wrote the words to this song."

OR

4)"Taras Shevchenko, a Ukrainian poet, wrote the lyrics to this song."

5)"He hadn't answered the one letter she had written to him."

OR

6)"He didn't answer the only letter she had written to him."

Last edited:

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Insofar as there is a dominant belief in our society today, it is a belief in the magic of the market place.

Taras Shevchenko, a Ukrainian poet, wrote the lyrics to this song.
But words is acceptable.

He didn't answer the only letter she had written to him.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
He didn't answer the only letter she had written to him.
Unless, or course, the intended meaning is that of the first sentence, in which case, the first choice would be more appropriate.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
But which is the better option? There was no question about intention.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

What about 2)? Is it acceptable?

Can I say "it's the belief in the magic of the market" because I mentioned it for the second time? Can I say "in magic of the...."?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What about 2)? Is it acceptable?

Can I say "it's the belief in the magic of the market" because I mentioned it for the second time? Can I say "in magic of the...."?

No, you can't say "in magic of..." You need to say "in the magic..."

Also, #2 fails because you can't say something "has been" and then "is."

If it's a "has been" then it "was the belief..." And you can't put "today" in the sentence if it's about the past.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, you can't say "in magic of..." You need to say "in the magic..."

Also, #2 fails because you can't say something "has been" and then "is."

If it's a "has been" then it "was the belief..." And you can't put "today" in the sentence if it's about the past.

If I left "today" out and slightly changed the meaning, would it work this way?

"Insofar as there has been a dominant belief in our society for the last 20 years, it is the belief in the magic of the market place."

Wouldn't it mean now that "it started in the past" and "has continued up to a moment in the present" and not finished yet?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I left "today" out slightly changed the meaning, would it work this way?

"Insofar as there has been a dominant belief in our society for the last 20 years, it is the belief in the magic of the market place."

Wouldn't it mean now that "it started in the past" and "has continued up to a moment in the present" and not finished yet?

Yes. That's OK.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That was my point. You have two sentences meaning different things. Without context, there's no best option.
Which is the best option: "I am running up the stairs"; OR "I was running up the stairs"?

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
The one letter, or, the only letter.
Which is best?
I prefer the second because there is that bit more emphasis.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The one letter, or, the only letter.
Which is best?
I prefer the second because there is that bit more emphasis.

1. "We're having strawberry ice cream for dessert."
2. "We eat chocolate ice cream later for dessert."

2. is the better option because I prefer chocolate.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
1. "We're having strawberry ice cream for dessert."
2. "We eat chocolate ice cream later for dessert."

2. is the better option because I prefer chocolate.
It seems to me that you are trying to provide a connection between two products against two descriptors. Maybe I am missing something but I cannot see any relevance in comparing one/only with chocolate/strawberry.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
5)"He hadn't answered the one letter she had written to him."

OR

6)"He didn't answer the only letter she had written to him."

Does "the one letter" any other implications apart from "the only letter"? If it has then we should see what it could be.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It seems to me that you are trying to provide a connection between two products against two descriptors. Maybe I am missing something but I cannot see any relevance in comparing one/only with chocolate/strawberry.

You might be missing something. I'll try to be as explicit and literal as possible.
If a student gives you two sentences that mean different things, and asks "Which is the better option?", the correct answer is "It depends on what you're trying to say."
Choosing one sentence over the other is like saying you prefer the sentence with chocolate in it because you prefer chocolate to strawberry. In this particular case, you've chosen "didn't answer" over "hadn't answered" without knowing the context, or the intended meaning of the sentence.
Objectively, there's no reason to say that "She didn't answer" is preferable to "She hadn't answered" without more context.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You might be missing something. I'll try to be as explicit and literal as possible.
If a student gives you two sentences that mean different things, and asks "Which is the better option?", the correct answer is "It depends on what you're trying to say."
Choosing one sentence over the other is like saying you prefer the sentence with chocolate in it because you prefer chocolate to strawberry. In this particular case, you've chosen "didn't answer" over "hadn't answered" without knowing the context, or the intended meaning of the sentence.
Objectively, there's no reason to say that "She didn't answer" is preferable to "She hadn't answered" without more context.

What about "the one letter" and "the only letter"? Differece in meaning?

I would humbly suggest that "the one letter" means a very speacial letter. There might have been several letters but there was something in the contex of this particular one that made it so special, whereas "the only letter" implies that there was only one letter he didn't answer?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I would humbly suggest that "the one letter" means a very speacial letter. There might have been several letters but there was something in the contex of this particular one that made it so special, whereas "the only letter" implies that there was only one letter he didn't answer?

I think so, but I want to be sure about it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Yes, they can mean different things.
If you say that one form is better if it conveys more emphasis, you'd need to explain i) why the emphatic form is preferable, ii) what makes one form more emphatic than the other.
I think it's a false premise.

apex2000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Wales
Yes, I should have added a comment to my first post. I provided further information in a later post but my choice was not about 'didn't answer' or 'hadn't answered' - it was about 'the one' or 'only'.

Status
Not open for further replies.