Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am doing a research paper and I have this sentence that I know does not sound right and I need to rewrite it but I just cannot seem to get it right. Could you please provide a few suggestions on how to rewrite this sentence?

[FONT=&quot]By gaining as much knowledge as one can about different cultures, the more skillful one will be at communicating cross-culturally.[/FONT]

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Does

Knowing different cultures facilitates cross-cultural communication.

convey your intended meaning?

Or,

Knowing different cultures improves one's cross-cultural communication skills.

candigurl26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am trying to say that the more you know about different cultures the better one will be at communicating with people of different cultures. So the more knowledge you have of different cultures the better you will be at communicating with these people.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am trying to say that the more you know about different cultures the better one will be at communicating with people of different cultures. So the more knowledge you have of different cultures the better you will be at communicating with these people.
The more one knows about different cultures, the better one will be at communicating with people of different cultures.

This is a good sentence. Don't you like it? I have changed "you" to "one"--you shouldn't mix the two and you're using "one" in the next part of the sentence. I've also added a comma. (I would also say "from different cultures", but I don't think "of" is unacceptable.)

candigurl26

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much for your help! :-D

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you for your kind words.

Don't forget to take a look at this thread some time later. There are some very insightful members here and they may want to give you their advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.