Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
We Koreans call a famous actor "national actor".
It's like Angelina Golie or Brad Pitt who are really famous receiving almost everyone's love in the nation. Some actor who's enjoying his or her popularity through every generation deserves such a title.

Does English have such a title?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We Koreans call a famous actor "national actor".
It's like Angelina Golie or Brad Pitt who are really famous receiving almost everyone's love in the nation. Some actor who's enjoying his or her popularity through every generation deserves such a title.

Does English have such a title?
You'll probably find that in English countries, the concept of national heroes (among actors), or the cult of personality, is not as common as in some countries (such as India perhaps, where Bollywood actresses and actors are seen as Gods and Goddesses. There is no actor that 'almost everyone loves', and if there was, Angelina and Brad wouldn't be them.
In Australia, we might profess to be proud of Nicole Kidman, Toni Collette, Russell Crowe (even though he's NZer), Hugh Jackman and others. But we wouldn't make bronze statues of them.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
When I was living in England, Girls Aloud were once called the national treasure on one of the shows I would watch evenings, but I can't seem to remember the name of that show. So I think that you could do the same with an actor or any other celebrity to convey a meaning of your national something.

Status
Not open for further replies.