in an alphabetical or alphabetical order????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"What comes after Nevada in an alphabetical listing of all 50 states?"

My dictionary says it's in alphabetical order. I've heard and seen in an alphabetical order, is it correct?

"I have a list of references and I need to list then in an alphabetical order, how can I do this?"

Last edited:

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
New Hampshire

List of 50 States and capitals of the USA in alphabetical order with abbreviations will help teach you the …

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

My dictionary says it's in alphabetical order. I've heard and seen in an alphabetical order, is it correct?

"I have a list of references and I need to list then in an alphabetical order, how can I do this?"
I'm not sure that you've quoted the right words.
My dictionary says it's in alphabetical order. It would be; most dictionaries are.
My dictionary says it's "in alphabetical order." It says that the correct term is "in alphabetical order."
I also assume you mean "I've heard and seen the phrase 'in an alphabetical order'", rather than that you see and hear things in an alphabetical order.

In English, there is only one alphabetical order (two, if you count descending as well as ascending.) But your example sentence reads, "in an alphabetical listing", which is not the same thing. There can be many alphabetical listings of various things, but they all use the same alphabetical order.

So, are you asking how you list references in an alphabetical order? If so, your last question shouldn't be in quotes.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

In the above sentence you are writing about a listing which would take the indefinite article. Inserting the adjective alphabetical in front of listing changes the article to an. Alphabetical order is an idiomatic noun phrase that usually does not take an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.