Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    going to be vs will be

    Would a future progressive with "going to be" be more certain than "will be"?

    1) She's going to offer that class next semester.

    2) She will offer that class next semester.

    3) She's going to be offering that class next semester.

    4) She will be offering that class next semester.

    How would you grade these sentences based on a scale of certainty?
    Last edited by ostap77; 13-Feb-2011 at 17:51.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,609
    #2

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would a future progressive with "going to be" be more certain than "will be"?

    1) She's going to offer that class next semester.

    2) She will offer that class next semester.

    3) She's going to be offering that class next semester.

    4) She will be offering that class next semester.

    How would you grade these sentences based on a scale of certainty?
    There is no difference of certainty.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    There is no difference of certainty.
    There would be no difference between?

    "I'm going to be needing an official statement from you."

    AND

    "I will be needing an official statement from you."
    Last edited by ostap77; 13-Feb-2011 at 19:57.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #4

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    There would be no difference between?

    "I'm going to needing an official statement from you."

    AND

    "I will be needing an official statement from you."
    I don't sense any difference.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I don't sense any difference.
    Hope there's no harm in asking. Since you've crossed "ing" out I want to ask you the following question, why don't we use a progressive of "need" with "going to be"? Here is what I hear on a Canadian series "The listener":

    "How did you know he was carrying a needle and not a gun? I'm gonna be needing a statement."

    "I'll drop by."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 248
    #6

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Hope there's no harm in asking. Since you've crossed "ing" out I want to ask you the following question, why don't we use a progressive of "need" with "going to be"? Here is what I hear on a Canadian series "The listener":

    "How did you know he was carrying a needle and not a gun? I'm gonna be needing a statement."

    "I'll drop by."
    I think it was a correction of your error since you forgot to type "be" in your last question. She chose a different voice...(my guess).
    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    There would be no difference between?

    "I'm going to needing an official statement from you."

    AND

    "I will be needing an official statement from you."
    If you had typed ""I'm going to be needing an official statement from you."
    then there is no difference.

    Not a teacher

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #7

    Re: going to be vs will be

    I will need.
    I'm going to need.
    I'm going to be needing.

    Not: I'm going to needing or I will needing.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #8

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I will need.
    I'm going to need.
    I'm going to be needing.

    Not: I'm going to needing or I will needing.
    I hate to be a pain in your b..t. But would you sence any difference, perhaps a very subtle one,if you were to choose between "going to" and "going to be" in the above metionrd context?

  4. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #9

    Re: going to be vs will be

    The only possible difference is "I'm going to be needing" could refer to a bit further into the future.

    Otherwise, there is no difference in meaning to me.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #10

    Re: going to be vs will be

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The only possible difference is "I'm going to be needing" could refer to a bit further into the future.

    Otherwise, there is no difference in meaning to me.
    "I'm going to be needing a statement from you." So it means that you don't have to come by my office right away you might well pay me a visit in a day or two?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •