Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
What is the best place for this adverb in a sentence? I'm used to saying it at the begininig of a sentence, but recently I've come across "Shops sometimes close in the afternoon" which seems to be a little bit awkward to me. I've just found a rule which says that advebs of frequency usually go after the subject, but 'sometimes" may go first if you want to stress it. Does it mean that all my sentences were emphatic?:shock: Should I always say it after the subject if I don't want to stress it?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Hello!
What is the best place for this adverb in a sentence? I'm used to saying it at the begininig of a sentence, but recently I've come across "Shops sometimes close in the afternoon" which seems to be a little bit awkward to me. I've just found a rule which says that advebs of frequency usually go after the subject, but 'sometimes" may go first if you want to stress it. Does it mean that all my sentences were emphatic?:shock: Should I always say it after the subject if I don't want to stress it?

The normal position of sometimes in the sentence is after the subject and before a lexical verb other than be. You might also use it at the beginning or end of the sentence for emphasis, I reckon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you! But still, which position of "sometimes" is more common - before or after the subject? When I google for it it seems to the former.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Thank you! But still, which position of "sometimes" is more common - before or after the subject? When I google for it it seems to the former.

I'm afraid I can't give you a straight answer to your question, but since you've tried Google, I think you can take its results as a yardstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.