Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Would anyone please give me the right words for these kinds of sweets? Probably just like in many countries in Iran sweets are broadly divided into two groups, the very odd and rough equivalents for which are "dry" and "moist". Indeed, I'm not looking for any adjectives, but some general nouns which are used to refer to such kinds of sweets. (Is "sweet" the right word for them?)

I hope you can find the photos in these links:
http://www.sohravardi.ir/images/t009.jpg. "moist"

http://www.sohravardi.ir/images/k014.jpg "dry"

Thanks a lot.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I can see only baked confection on the pictures. Do you want to divide this kind only?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

First, I think I should say, "Mmmmmmm."

I would call your moist stuff "cake", and your dry stuff, "pastry". Does that work?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can see only baked confection on the pictures. Do you want to divide this kind only?

Thanks. Just baked ones? There's a topping of cream, choccy, jelly, etc. on the "moist" ones. I suppose there must be a difference in names referring to them. Don't you think so?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am not a teacher.

First, I think I should say, "Mmmmmmm."

I would call your moist stuff "cake", and your dry stuff, "pastry". Does that work?

:)...Thanks!

I think pastry sounds great. And, hope by cake, the hearer gets an idea of a creamy topping.

Cheers!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm not sure I understand "Just baked ones?" correctly. Are you asking whether I really see only baked ones on your pictures? Yes, they are all basically baked dough (with additions of course). There are no chocolate bars or lollipops on your pictures. That's what I meant in my first post; I was asking whether you want to divide all kinds of confectionery or just those that are made mostly of baked dough.

If I understand you correctly now, I simply agree with Coolfootluke,

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm not sure I understand "Just baked ones?" correctly. Are you asking whether I really see only baked ones on your pictures? Yes, they are all basically baked dough (with additions of course). There are no chocolate bars or lollipops on your pictures. That's what I meant in my first post; I was asking whether you want to divide all kinds of confectionery or just those that are made mostly of baked dough.

If I understand you correctly now, I simply agree with Coolfootluke,

My pictures were just examples of the two kinds. In the case of the "moist" ones, any moist topping is possible. And they may come in some layers too.

Ta!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And, is "sweets" the right word for these pastries and cakes? Any informal name for the shop selling these?

Many thanks in advance.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:)...Thanks!

I think pastry sounds great. And, hope by cake, the hearer gets an idea of a creamy topping.

Cheers!

And 'pastry' can also be countable - particularly in collocations like 'a Danish pastry'.

The trouble with calling them just 'sweets' is that they're not those things that in Am E are called 'candies'.

Perhaps the best word to use is one that BC used in her first answer: 'confections'. (This is a bit paradoxical, because the tradesman who sells sweets [that is 'candies'] is called a 'confectioner'.)

'Confection' can seem a bit formal though. I think a lot of people would prefer to use 'sweet', but as an adjective: 'There were all kinds of sweet things to eat - cakes, tarts, pastries... all sorts.' (There's also an archaic word [or getting that way - falling rapidly out of use]: 'sweetmeat' (one word). A 'sweetmeat' is always what you would class as 'moist'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.