Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hello,

Would you please explain for me: What does it mean « a sound in the middle position »?

For example: the word Spy written phonetically [spai] and phonemically / sp°ai/

So, do we say here that the sound /s/ is in the middle position for both cases? and why?

Tha
nk you.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Isn't a sound in the middle position when it's in the middle of the word, yousrati? It's the first time I see the term, but that's how I would interpret it. What's a middle position?

yousrati

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
A middle position means where we can find the sound. In another word let us take the example of /p/ sound:

- It is in the Initial position when the word starts with it: problem
- It is in the middle position normally when it is in the middle like: Interpret
- It is in the final position when it is in the end of the word: slump

But my problem is:

In the case of cluster as it is given above “spy” do we consider the /p/ sound in the initial or middle position?

Thank you.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
/p/ in the middle position in "spy" then. It's in the middle of the word. /s/ is in the initial position, because the word starts with it. I just used your definition. Is this what you were asking?

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
In the case of cluster as it is given above “spy” do we consider the /p/ sound in the initial or middle position?
In word-initial clusters. E.g.: /sp/ spare, /st/ stain, /sm/ smoke, /sk/ scarce, etc.

Gimson also shows these examples in word-final clusters, /sp(s,t)/ gasp(s, ed), /st(s) rest(s), /sk(s,t) ask(s, ed), etc.

yousrati

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Yes, this is what I meant. May be I can be more explicit if I say:

In case of cluster, that is two consonants followed by vowel example:
Spy / s p ai/ there is the cluster /s p/ and the diphthong /ai/

So, is the /p / considered as a sound in the initial position or in the middle because it is preceeded by /s/ sound?
Thank you.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
So, is the /p / considered as a sound in the initial position or in the middle because it is preceeded by /s/ sound?
It seems that the answer is here:
What are phonics blends?
"Consonant blends that appear at the beginning of a word, are referred to as Initial Consonant Blends or beginning blends, and those that appear at the end of a word are referred to as Final Consonant Blends or end blends."

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
yousrati,

As the sound /p/ is part of the cluster /sp/ in the word "spy", I´d say that /s/ and /p/ are both in the initial position.
(I´m not a native speaker.)

Status
Not open for further replies.