Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I 'm reading the novel"A Christmas Carol". In this novel,I have a several questions.
1))"(The fiddler started playing,) and away they all went in the dance ,twenty pairs at the same time,round and round, down the middle and up again"
2)"It was poor enough meal,・・・・they ate every bit of it."
I want to know what does these sentences mean.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 20 couples danced around the room to the music of the violin- the dance involved going round the room, then up the middle of it.
2 I presume they were hungry and there wasn't that much food.

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm reading the novel "A Christmas Carol". In this novel, I have a several questions.
1))"(The fiddler started playing,) and away they all went in the dance ,twenty pairs at the same time,round and round, down the middle and up again".
Raymott and I already tried to answer this question in another thread; I'm sorry you didn't understand us the first time.
Here is another video that might give you a picture of what you're reading. (It is the dance scene from Mr. Fezziwig's dance):
YouTube - Scrooge - December the 25th

2)"It was poor enough meal,・・・・they ate every bit of it."
In Dickens' time, "poor" often meant less than perfect, lacking, bad, small - related to "lack of money", but not exactly the same.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK Please don't start multiple threads with the same topic; it makes things very messy. If an answer's not clear, say so in the thread. Thanks.

yuyu0615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have made this thread before Raymott and mayita1usa answered in another threads(but same question),because no one answer this tread for a long time.I don't think this thread was found by anyone.Sorry for makeing you misunderstood.I appreciate your help.
I have a question about 2)
Is the useage of" enough" in the sentence the same as the usage of the sentence" He is old enough to drive"?

Status
Not open for further replies.