• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Question Use of '

will it be customers' service or customers service? is it important to put ' there as we are talking about services not about possession of things? Can someone explain the use of ' in detail as its use is occasional? Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Re: Use of '

Hi.
    *not a teacher*

I'd say 'customer service'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Verona_82 View Post
    Hi.
    *not a teacher*

I'd say 'customer service'.
    So would I.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by hznaeem View Post
    will it be customers' service or customers service? is it important to put ' there as we are talking about services not about possession of things? Can someone explain the use of ' in detail as its use is occasional? Thanks
    I am not a teacher.

It's "customer service" here, too.

Those "occasional apostrophes" are the devil. You just have to pick a dictionary and hope for the best. Even my government can't decide whether I have a drivers license or a driver's one. You even see people with drivers' licenses. You would think that we could agree on Mother(')s(') Day, but no. And the apostrophes disappear entirely on street signs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Occitan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • UK

hi thanks everyone for the kind feedback, can anyone explain it with refernce to grammar and not to the informal use which is sometimes wrong? Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by hznaeem View Post
    hi thanks everyone for the kind feedback, can anyone explain it with refernce to grammar and not to the informal use which is sometimes wrong? Thanks
    Hey, hznaeem. I am not a teacher, as you know.

In English, grammar is a way of trying to explain what we say, not the other way around, where what we say would be dictated by grammar, but I'll try. "Customer" is a noun used as an adjective modifying the plain noun "service". It's like consumer relations and driver education. Other terms of this type, ones that use a possessive, like "driver's license" or "housemaid's knee", actually have some possessive force; it's the license belonging to a driver and the knee belonging to a housemaid. But it is not the service belonging to a customer.

I am not formulating a rule. I am trying to give you some sense of the feel a native speaker has for such terms. I could easily give you counter-examples. Remember, usage is everything. The informal use you want to ignore is the only source there is for usage.