Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    precede with or proceede with never by

    A word can be preceded with the defenite article or proceeded with a preposition. We never use "by" in this context, do we?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,815
    #2

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    I would use by.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,000
    #3

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Lunch will be preceded by a short speech from the chairman.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    A word can be preceded with the defenite article or proceeded with a preposition. We never use "by" in this context, do we?
    I'd never say 'precede with". Have you seen that somewhere?
    "to proceed with something" is normal.
    Bear in mind that 'precede' and 'proceed' are two different words, as one would normally expect, given the different spelling.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I'd never say 'precede with". Have you seen that somewhere?
    "to proceed with something" is normal.
    Bear in mind that 'precede' and 'proceed' are two different words, as one would normally expect, given the different spelling.
    Can I say " USA should be preceded by the definite article"? If not, what verb would you use?
    Last edited by ostap77; 16-Feb-2011 at 15:27.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Can I say " USA should be preceded by the definite article"? If not, what verb would you use?
    Yes you can.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes you can.
    In this context that's "by"that makes the difference. It's always "by" and not "with"?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #8

    Re: precede with or proceede with never by

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    In this context that's "by"that makes the difference. It's always "by" and not "with"?
    Yes, it is.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •