Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
I'm given to understand that when there is two sentences which are connected to each other with a prepostion like since, after "since" if we use a verb in past tense we must use the present perfect.

Let me give you an example:

He has not been able to go out with his friends since he has broken his leg

if we say:He has not been able to go out with his friends since he broke his leg, would it be correct?

Because I think that in these sentences like this one I gave you after "since" we must use the present perfect because(according to the sentence) his leg is still broken

I mean if his leg was healed then we had to use simple past after "since" right??

Thanks in advance!!

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm given to understand that when there is two sentences which are connected to each other with a prepostion like since, after "since" if we use a verb in past tense we must use the present perfect.

Let me give you an example:

He has not been able to go out with his friends since he has broken his leg

if we say:He has not been able to go out with his friends since he broke his leg, would it be correct?

Because I think that in these sentences like this one I gave you after "since" we must use the present perfect because(according to the sentence) his leg is still broken

I mean if his leg was healed then we had to use simple past after "since" right??

Thanks in advance!!

What do you mean by "since"?

Do you mean since=since the time ?
Or since= because - for the reason that ?

1- He has not been able to go out with his friends since (since the time) he broke his leg.

2- He has not been able to go out with his friends since (because - for the reason that) he has broken his leg.

You say that his leg has not been healed yet. You are right, but when we say since, and it means "since the time", then we should refer to a point in the past when something was done or happened. It's a point so we should use past simple after it. (sentence no.1)

You are told that you must use present perfect after since. But this one is not "since the time" since, it's "because" since.
Why? because he has broken his leg and it has not been healed yet.(sentence no.2)

egerol1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
No I mean "since the time" he has broken his leg

It's like:He has broken his leg and since then he has not been able to go out with his friends

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
No I mean "since the time" he has broken his leg

It's like:He has broken his leg and since then he has not been able to go out with his friends

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
When you say, He has broken his leg you're not stating it clearly when it happened, so you cannot proceed with, since then.
Try:
He's not been able to go out with his friends (ever) since he broke his leg.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Either the person who taught you this was simply wrong, or your understanding is flawed.

He hasn't been able to go out with his friend [present perfect, good] since he broke his leg [simple past].

He hasn't been able to pay his bills since he lost his job.
He hasn't gotten a good night's sleep since he hurt his back.
He hasn't shot a decent round of golf since the sank that hole in one.

Status
Not open for further replies.