Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you share with me your opinion concerning the interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentence?

[FONT=&quot]She’d cleaned us special – on the chance. Not that she’s got anything to clean. Everything’s popped. It’s as bare as a bone at Terry’s. (Gr. Green, “The Confidential Agent”)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]..there’s nowhere to hide on this island. It’s as bare as your hand. (A. Christie, “And Then There Were None”)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]bare as a bone = bare as the palm of one’s hand = bare as the back of one’s hand = bare to the skin, desert[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your efforts.. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]V.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where did you get the expressions from- they're not standard idioms I have come across. The idea's clear, but we say to know something like the back of your hand, and I have not come across your versions.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
ADJECTIVE:DIVESTED &c. v.; bare, naked, nude; undressed, undraped, unclad, ungarmented, unclothed, unappareled, unarrayed; exposed; in dishabille.
IN A STATE OF NATURE, in nature’s garb, in buff, in native buff, in birthday suit; in puris naturalibus [L.]; with nothing on, stark-naked; bare as the back of one’s hand.
out at elbows; threadbare, ragged, callow, roofless; barefoot; bareback, barebacked; leafless, napless, hairless.
BALD, hairless, depilous [rare], glabrous, glabrate, tonsured, beardless, bald as a coot.
EXUVIAL, sloughy, desquamative, desquamatory.

[FONT=&quot]http://www.bartleby.com/110/226.html[/FONT]

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bartleby.com/110/226.html[/FONT]
I am not a teacher.

Note the date of the Roget's at Bartleby, vil---1922. Some of the expressions in there will not be in current use. I am not saying that "bare as the back of one's hand" is one of them, but I am not familiar with it.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.