• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

upwards and onwards

Hi,

I want to say I learn new things from work everyday, and am also ambitious to go beyond from what I have established at every stages challenges come towards me,

Learns new things from works everyday, ambitious to go upwards from his established standard for his each stage onwards.

Does it make sense in the shorter sentence - it seems very hard to read and understand to me! How can I fix it??

Thanks,
    Lau

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: upwards and onwards

Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    Hi,

I want to say I learn new things from work everyday, and am also ambitious to go beyond from what I have established at every stages challenges come towards me,

Learns new things from works everyday, ambitious to go upwards from his established standard for his each stage onwards.

Does it make sense in the shorter sentence - it seems very hard to read and understand to me! How can I fix it??

Thanks,
    Lau
    I dont understand what you mean in the bold part of your first sentence. What is the relationship between the bold part and the rest of the sentence? Would you please write the first sentence again.

And what is "onward" at the end of your second sentence? If you say what you meant by these two sentences then we can discuss about "upwards" , "onwards" and "beyond" and some other grammar points.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    I dont understand what you mean in the bold part of your first sentence. What is the relationship between the bold part and the rest of the sentence? Would you please write the first sentence again.

And what is "onward" at the end of your second sentence? If you say what you meant by these two sentences then we can discuss about "upwards" , "onwards" and "beyond" and some other grammar points.
    Thanks, Khosro! sorry that my English is really a mess!

I want to say I learn new things from work everyday, and am also ambitious to go beyond from what I have achieved/ established. But I want to use upwards and onwards in the sentence below,

onwards - I want to use it to say any thing/ challenges that will in the future.
    upwards - I want to use it to say I want to go beyond whatever I have already achieved/ established, like the standard of my work, etc.

Does it make sense better now?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Lau
    I am not a teacher.

It looks like you are writing a line about your strengths for your resume. It seems you want it to be in the third person ("he" instead of "I"), and you want it telegraphic. Keeping as much as possible:

Learns new things from work every day. Strives to exceed his established standard at each stage moving onwards.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thank you so much, Coolfootluke! It sounds so much better in English now

It was meant to put it on my website, the CV/ Bio section!

Thanks!