Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can "six-packs" refer to the abdominal muscles as in "half-dressed male models with sixpacks"?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. A 'sixpack' is - in actuality - a pack of six cans (usually of something to drink, connected at the top by a flexible piece of plastic). But it is used as a metaphor to refer to a well-defined set of rectus abdominis muscles (not everyone has a sixpack). I imagine a female figure could have a sixpack, but in the culture I'm used to it's quite rare (at least it's quite rare for a very fit woman to make a lot of this part of her anatomy).

Etymological tangent: modern English is far from being the first to use a real-world image as the basis for a word that refers to a muscle. The word 'muscle' itself started life as a metaphor: musculus is, in Latin, a little mouse (which you can imagine crawling under a rug and giving the appearance of something moving under the surface.)

b

Last edited:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes. A 'sixpack' is - in actuality - a pack of six cans (usually of something to drink, connected at the top by a flexible piece of plastic). But it is used as a metaphor to refer to a well-defined set of rectus abdominis muscles (not everyone has a sixpack). I imagine a female figure could have a sixpack, but in the culture I'm used to it's quite rare (at least it's quite rare for a very fit woman to make a lot of this part of her anatomy).

Etymological tangent: modern English is far from being the first to use a real-world image as the basis for a word that refers to a muscle. The word 'muscle' itself started life as a metaphor: musculus is, in Latin, a little mouse (which you can imagine crawling under a rug and giving the appearance of something moving under the surface.)

b

Can I say "sixpack shaped abdominal muscles"?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say "sixpack shaped abdominal muscles"?
I am not a teacher.

No. It's slang (and not very good slang because it is seldom immediately clear that you don't mean a literal pack of six beverage cans). You don't explain slang.
Lighten up on the sit-ups, Betsy---you're starting to get a six-pack.
His six-pack was his pride and joy, him being the musclehead he was.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

No. It's slang (and not very good slang because it is seldom immediately clear that you don't mean a literal pack of six beverage cans). You don't explain slang.
Lighten up on the sit-ups, Betsy---you're starting to get a six-pack.
His six-pack was his pride and joy, him being the musclehead he was.

How about six-pack abs?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. Read the last post. You don't explain slang. A teacher might want you to do this, to be sure that you know what it means; but it makes you sound like a foreign student. (Of course, I have nothing against foreign students; they keep me in business ;-), but it's presumably not an effect you're aiming for.)

b

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about six-pack abs?
You do hear that, but it sounds like a television commercial to me. I would call the whole thing either commercialese or bodybuilder's jargon. I would not say that this "six-pack" is in general use. There is a lot of slang surrounding muscle definition. You can be "ripped" or "shredded", too.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
You do hear that, but it sounds like a television commercial to me. I would call the whole thing either commercialese or bodybuilder's jargon. I would not say that this "six-pack" is in general use. There is a lot of slang surrounding muscle definition. You can be "ripped" or "shredded", too.

Thanks. I was going to write that I saw it in a commercial, when your post popped up on the monitor. By the way, is it on a commercial or in a commercial?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I saw it ON television IN a commercial.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I saw it ON television IN a commercial.
Why is "on" used when we talk about a series. "If you missed the last episode, here is what was happening on "The Shameless"?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is "on" used when we talk about a series. "If you missed the last episode, here is what was happening on "The Shameless"?
I am not a teacher.

God only knows. Why do the Brits say "different to" where we say "different than"? It's called "idiom" my friend, and it's a harsh master.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

God only knows. Why do the Brits say "different to" where we say "different than"? It's called "idiom" my friend, and it's a harsh master.

Basically we say "on......." when we talk about a series or a song and "in " when it's a comercial?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Basically we say "on......." when we talk about a series or a song and "in " when it's a comercial?
I am not a teacher.

Nope. There is no rhyme or reason to it. You'll pick all this up as you read and listen more and more, the same way we native speakers did. It's in a song in a commercial shown during a TV show.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not a teacher.

Many speakers of Br English do indeed say 'different to', much to the regret of the many prescriptivist teachers who insist that it should be 'different from'! ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.