Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone!

Will it be correct to use the below heading:

Figure A.01: External view of the friction couple with the ABC steel with the LMN coating against XYZ
ABS is the marking of steel; LMN is the marking of the coating on that steel; XYZ is the material that is in contact with the coating on the steel.
So, what do you say? Did I make myself clear in this sentence? Is this form acceptable, or... Any suggestions to improve it?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the "couple" between the coated steel and the XYZ?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

I'm not sure I understand. "Friction couple" is not a self-explanatory term, for one thing. Perhaps you mean something like "friction coupling".

Maybe:

External view of the friction coupling, with the LMN-coated ABC steel in contact with the XYZ

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
First, thanks for your replies. I appreciate them much.

Nope, it is not a coupling. It is a couple of materials that are in contact and rub against each other, for example in a sliding bearing. Sometimes the term "friciton pair" is used.

The "LMN-coated" structure is a good thing but I'm not sure if I could use it in my translation in this particular case. By LMN, I don't mean a material like wood, steel or plastic; rather it is a marking, or a sort of abbreviaiton in my case. Would it be proper to say "friction couple with the 38CrNi3MoVA steel with the TSP PZS coating against VAMK-29"? Or is it better to say "TSP PZS-coated 38CrNi3MoVA steel against VAMK-29"?
I guess this does not speak much to an american reader, right?

In any case, I used the above structure in "TRISO-coated particles" - picked it up from Americans.

Anybody experienced in engineering?
Help!!!

Last edited:

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, thanks for your replies. I appreciate them much.

Nope, it is not a coupling. It is a couple of materials that are in contact and rub against each other, for example in a sliding bearing. Sometimes the term "friciton pair" is used.

The "LMN-coated" structure is a good thing but I'm not sure if I could use it in my translation in this particular case. By LMN, I don't mean a material like wood, steel or plastic; rather it is a marking, or a sort of abbreviaiton in my case. Would it be proper to say "friction couple with the 38CrNi3MoVA steel with the TSP PZS coating against VAMK-29"? Or is it better to say "TSP PZS-coated 38CrNi3MoVA steel against VAMK-29"?
I guess this does not speak much to an american reader, right?

In any case, I used the above structure in "TRISO-coated particles" - picked it up from Americans.

Anybody experienced in engineering?
Help!!!

OK. I was thinking ABC was like "carbon". I guess you do need an engineer. But from a strictly English standpoint, either of your attempts is good; I prefer the first because of the slight problem caused by hyphenating a two-word acronym in the second. It is right to leave off the article before "VAMK-29", now that I know what it is.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say the couple between X and Y.

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much.
I chose to use the "friction couple with ABC-coated XYZ steel against LMN" structure. Let's wait for engineers' comments. (Well, it may take half a year, though.) Still, thanks to veryone for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.