Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I want to say, 'you have passed away when we were young together once. You have gone to heaven maybe but I now have aged and you have missed all the years I have passed', can I say in this way below, in a shorter sentence?

I cannot age with you, you have forgone my years

Does it make any sense to you? or this one below is better?

I cannot age with you, you have forgone my time

Thanks,
Lau

Last edited:

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

That is excellent poetry, both versions, but I suspect you think that to forgo means to leave before, when it does not. Forgive me if I'm wrong about that. I really love the line, though.

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
Thank you, Coolfootluke. Glad you liked it! :)

Yes I am trying to apply 'you have left before me' and 'have missed all the joy and sorrow in the years I have passed'. But this is too long and too much details, thought to shorten into something more abstract - 'my years'...

Thanks.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Forego" could be what you're looking for. Do you mean that the person missed all your lifetime? Or do you mean just a part of it? From your lines I would infer that the person had already passed away when you were born. This may be just my personal feeling though.

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
"Forego" could be what you're looking for. Do you mean that the person missed all your lifetime? Or do you mean just a part of it? From your lines I would infer that the person had already passed away when you were born. This may be just my personal feeling though.

Thanks for the reply Birdeen, I would say it is 'just a part of it' of my lifetime. it meant to say we had been young together once and then you have missed the rest of it...

But after all, whether it is that 'the person missed all your lifetime' or 'just a part of it' - it doesn't matter, I am trying to make it as abstract as possible so that anyone can associate with it from their own experiences...

Thank you :)

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I see. I'm not sure if I made the first sentence of my post noticeable enough. Do you know the difference between "forego" and "forgo"?

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

iamtime

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
UK
This dictionary notes only one meaning of the word "forego". There are more. Please compare: forgo - definition of forgo by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. and forego - definition of forego by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Note that "forego" may mean precede, while "forgo" doesn't mean that. I'm saying this because I think this is the meaning you want.

Thank you, Birdeen. Yes I think I should use 'forego' according to the dictionary on this website! :-D

Thanks so much!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
You're welcome. :)