Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

#1 I know that we can say 'I met a man who lives in Chicago' or 'I met a man living in Chicago'. But can we change 'I met a man who is a famous writer' to 'I met a man a famous writer'? Or change 'I met a man who is kind to everybody' to 'I met a man kind to everybody'?

#2 Can we change 'I was walking home when I lost my keys' to 'I was walking home when losing my keys'?

Thank you!

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
#1. No, not really. Someone might say "I met a man, a famous writer." But I wouldn't use that in writing. In conversation, the "who is" is implied, left out. In writing, it is rather disjointed. As an introduction to a longer sentence it would be OK. "I met a man, a famous writer, who told me about..."

But not as its own sentence.

#2. Not unless "losing your keys" was an activity that you were actively engaged in. This type of structure can work in an example like "I saw a car on fire while walking the dog."

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, SoothingDave. But I think it's a little hard for me to understand. Maybe through examples, I might get the points more clear. So please allow me to ask some more questions.:lol:

Is it appropriate to change
#1 'The police officer who gave me directions was friendly' to
'The police officer giving me directions was friendly'?

#2 'I talked to the women who walked into my office' to
'I talked to the women walking into my office'?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Is the direction giving over? Or is it continuing? The "-ing" form is for activity that is continuing. So, for this I would say do not change the sentence. The officer gave you directions. It's a completed action.

2. Same thing. Is the walking over or continuing? Did you talk to the women as they were walking into your office or after they had walked there? I think it's the latter. Your re-write also introduces an ambiguity. Were you the one walking or were the women?

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, SoothingDave. I think I've got the point. Thanks again!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.