• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

appreciate proofreadind

"Since 1)late 19th century, 2)the Western Europe society had become more tolerant to the naked human body. First nudist beaches appeared in Germany in 1893. 3)In the beginning of 4)20th century a German psychiatrist Henry Tudor offered a system of physical and psychological rehabilitation based on dances and sport exercise of naked people 5)in the open air (we would call it aerobics). He is thought to be a founder of the modern nudism."

1) I would put "the" 19th century?
    2) I would use the present perfect here because our tolerance to the hude body has been growing ever since and it didn't stop at a point in the past? Would community fit better in this context?
    3)How about at the begining here?
    4)the 20th centuy?
    5) Is it in the open air or in an open air? Gues it should have been in an open air or in the open?
    Last edited by ostap77; 17-Feb-2011 at 15:13.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: appreciate proofreadind

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Since 1)late 19th century, 2)the Western Europe society had become more tolerant to the naked human body. First nudist beaches appeared in Germany in 1893. 3)In the beginning of 4)20th century a German psychiatrist Henry Tudor offered a system of physical and psychological rehabilitation based on dances and sport exercise of naked people 5)in the open air (we would call it aerobics). He is thought to be a founder of the modern nudism."

1) I would put "the" 19th century?
    2) I would use the present perfect here because our tolerance to the hude body has been growing ever since and it didn't stop at a point in the past?
    3)How about at the begining here?
    4)the 20th centuy?
    5) Is it in the open air or in an open air?
    "By the late 19th century, western European society had become more tolerant to the naked human body. The first nudist beaches appeared in Germany in 1893. At the beginning of the 20th century a German psychiatrist, Henry Tudor, offered a system of physical and psychological rehabilitation based on exercise through dance and sport for naked people in the open air (we would call it aerobics). He is thought to be the founder of modern nudism."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "By the late 19th century, western European society had become more tolerant to the naked human body. The first nudist beaches appeared in Germany in 1893. At the beginning of the 20th century a German psychiatrist, Henry Tudor, offered a system of physical and psychological rehabilitation based on exercise through dance and sport for naked people in the open air (we would call it aerobics). He is thought to be the founder of modern nudism."
    Is it possible to say a founder of......meaning he was one of the founders?

Could I say "Since the late 19th century, western European society has become more tolerant to the naked human body......"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Is it possible to say a founder of......meaning he was one of the founders?

Could I say "Since the late 19th century, western European society has become more tolerant to the naked human body......"?
    You could say "he was one of the founders..."
    "Since the late 19th century" is a very long time, I think there have been several changes in society's tolerance towards nudism between then and now. There were certainly changes in attitudes between the early and late 19th century but there have been much more profound changes in more recent years.