Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    guess something is not right

    "Inside the barracks, an American GI looks through a window as German guards drag his struggling buddy beyond view."

    So GI's buddy got messed up by the German guards and they are dragging him somewhere? Should "view" be preceded by the defenite article? I've seen people writing "beyond the view"? Does it mean on the far side?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Inside the barracks, an American GI looks through a window as German guards drag his struggling buddy beyond view."

    So GI's buddy got messed up by the German guards and they are dragging him somewhere? Should "view" be preceded by the defenite article? I've seen people writing "beyond the view"? Does it mean on the far side?
    "Beyond view" is fine, it means "out of sight".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "Beyond view" is fine, it means "out of sight".
    If it was beyond the view, would it mean on the far side?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #4

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    If it was beyond the view, would it mean on the far side?
    I don't think I've ever heard "beyond the view".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard "beyond the view".
    "Clusters of galaxies: beyond the thermal view" why is it not "beyond thermal view"? I've just googled it and there are examples "beyond the view" in writing?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #6

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Clusters of galaxies: beyond the thermal view" why is it not "beyond thermal view"? I've just googled it and there are examples "beyond the view" in writing?
    I am not a teacher.

    I just googled it, too, and there aren't any real examples. Your galaxy title is a bit of wordplay, and the landscaping hits are, too, involving a trendy use of "beyond". Others are like "If we move beyond Saarinen's view that a building should be ...." Your "view" takes no article: When she came into view, she was driving six white horses.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    I just googled it, too, and there aren't any real examples. Your galaxy title is a bit of wordplay, and the landscaping hits are, too, involving a trendy use of "beyond". Others are like "If we move beyond Saarinen's view that a building should be ...." Your "view" takes no article: When she came into view, she was driving six white horses.
    So it's "out of sight", right?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #8

    Re: guess something is not right

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    So it's "out of sight", right?
    Right.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] guess-who
    By frindle in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-May-2010, 16:34
  2. Okay, then I guess it is, how you say, on.
    By Adriano_CSI in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2009, 16:59
  3. [Vocabulary] Guess!
    By Dawood Usmani in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-Aug-2009, 04:31
  4. It was just guess
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Dec-2008, 07:14
  5. take a guess/make an educated guess
    By amigo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2004, 06:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •