Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 58
    #1

    Smile the usage of enough

    I have another question of the sentence"It was a poor enough meal,but...." I understand the meaning because a lot of teacher in this site tought me .
    but I want to know another sentence with the same meaning of "enough".
    I looked up the word "enough" in the dictionary,I found this sentence."He is old enough to drive."
    Is the useage of"poor enough" the same as the usage of"enough" in another sentence" He is old enough to drive"?
    Sorry for ask the same question.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #2

    Re: the usage of enough

    Quote Originally Posted by yuyu0615 View Post
    I have another question of the sentence"It was a poor enough meal,but...." I understand the meaning because a lot of teacher in this site tought me .
    but I want to know another sentence with the same meaning of "enough".
    I looked up the word "enough" in the dictionary,I found this sentence."He is old enough to drive."
    Is the useage of"poor enough" the same as the usage of"enough" in another sentence" He is old enough to drive"?
    Sorry for ask the same question.
    I am not a teacher.

    You are asking about a rare use of "enough", a negative sense. Normally, enough is a good thing. A meal that is poor enough is not quite pure garbage, but it will not make you happy, either.

    You found it in Dickens, in a story written in 1843 in England. I would say that this use of "enough" would be unusual in the US today. Your example---old enough to drive---is not the same. For one thing, the negative "enough" doesn't take modifiers.

    His blind date turned out to be homely enough (negative sense), but they wound up getting married, and their kids were ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road (positive sense).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 58
    #3

    Smile Re: the usage of enough

    Thank you for answering my question. but I can't understand the example of "enough" .
    Does blind date mean? I wonder if it means the lover who can't see.
    Please explain the example "His blind date turned out to be homely enough (negative sense),".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #4

    Re: the usage of enough

    Quote Originally Posted by yuyu0615 View Post
    Thank you for answering my question. but I can't understand the example of "enough" .
    Does blind date mean? I wonder if it means the lover who can't see.
    Please explain the example "His blind date turned out to be homely enough (negative sense),".
    I am not a teacher.

    When a friend arranges a date for you with a person you do not know, that is a blind date. We call it "blind" because you never saw the person before. The person is also a blind date.

    I could make the sentence simpler: His blind date was homely enough ....

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 58
    #5

    Re: the usage of enough

    Thank you for your reply. I have one more question.Does "homely " mean "not attractive"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Abkhazian
      • Home Country:
      • Antigua
      • Current Location:
      • American Samoa

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 1
    #6

    Re: the usage of enough

    This is wonderful and informative article you submit dear writer i really enjoy this article..

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #7

    Re: the usage of enough

    Quote Originally Posted by yuyu0615 View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I have one more question.Does "homely " mean "not attractive"?
    I am not a teacher.

    Yes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 58
    #8

    Re: the usage of enough

    Thanks to you,I can understand this usage of "enough".I appriciate your help.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] usage
    By princesabharwal in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 19:27
  2. [Grammar] Usage of is and are
    By djmsstraub in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2008, 02:55
  3. [Grammar] Usage of AT
    By OLANIYI in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Aug-2008, 14:27
  4. Usage of In and To
    By srikanthduddala in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2007, 12:38
  5. usage of neither
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2007, 11:45

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •