Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    strikes at not strike at home??

    "Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home, US studios are farming out more work to locales from Cambodia to Canada."

    Does "strikes at"refer to an actor or writer or both of them? Why there is no article before actor or writer? What's the meaning of "strict rules and actor and writer"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2011
    • Posts: 434
    #2

    Re: strikes at not strike at home??

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home, US studios are farming out more work to locales from Cambodia to Canada."

    Does "strikes at"refer to an actor or writer or both of them? Why there is no article before actor or writer? What's the meaning of "strict rules and actor and writer"?
    I am not a teacher.

    The studios are fleeing three things:
    1. high costs
    2. strict work rules
    3. strikes, both actor strikes and writer strikes

    These three things are found at home, in the US.

    There is no article because "actor" and "writer" are being used as adjectives.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: strikes at not strike at home??

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolfootluke View Post
    I am not a teacher.

    The studios are fleeing three things:
    1. high costs
    2. strict work rules
    3. strikes, both actor strikes and writer strikes

    These three things are found at home, in the US.

    There is no article because "actor" and "writer" are being used as adjectives.
    "Stikes" means they are not going to work unless they get more money?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #4

    Re: strikes at not strike at home??

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Stikes" means they are not going to work unless they get more money?
    Yes, usually. Sometimes people (go on) strike for other reasons than money, improved working conditions for example, but strikes about money are quite common.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: strikes at not strike at home??

    This is a very hard sentence to construe, as in 'Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home' there are seven possible nouns and a verbal noun. A comma before the first 'and' would help, but not much. The key is to know that the last six words (four of which could be nouns), and that the phrasal verb 'strikes at' is not involved, so that the whole phrase means 'strikes [=withdrawal of labour] [by] actors and writers [that are taking place] at home'.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: strikes at not strike at home??

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    This is a very hard sentence to construe, as in 'Fleeing high costs,strict work rules and actor and writer strikes at home' there are seven possible nouns and a verbal noun. A comma before the first 'and' would help, but not much. The key is to know that the last six words (four of which could be nouns), and that the phrasal verb 'strikes at' is not involved, so that the whole phrase means 'strikes [=withdrawal of labour] [by] actors and writers [that are taking place] at home'.

    b
    When I first read it I thought it was the phrasal verb involved "strikes at". But than I started wondering that had it been the phrasal verb, it would have been "strike at".

Similar Threads

  1. strikes me as a man ...
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2010, 18:22
  2. strike/strikes
    By wowenglish1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2010, 17:02
  3. strike out
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2008, 18:22
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2006, 11:47
  5. Strike
    By Dany in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2005, 11:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •