Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, kumarb.

Your link doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

Roger

kumarb22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Canada
One of my ambitions is become as an engineer since my father was a mechanical technician and used to enjoy and admire how he resolve mechanical problems very innovative way.
I was ranked 790 in district level and 2435 in island level among nearly 60,000 students. But unfortunately my district rank was not in the district engineering allocation; therefore I was given an opportunity to study Bachelor's degree programme in University of Colombo. I do not have any other alternate option therefore I have to study in the particular program. Sri Lankan universities admission system didn’t allow me to participate in the engineering program. Since admission requirements and admission procedure for each year are decided by the University Grants Commission (UGC)
Undergraduate education in State Universities is free but extremely limited. However fewer than 16% (less than 16,000 students) of those who qualify get admission to State Universities. Admission to the university system is based on the highly competitive GCE Advance Level examination which comprises two years of schooling (Grade12 and Grade 13). Student’s performance in this examination is the basis for selection and admission to universities.
During my school career I took part in various inter house athletic activities such as cricket, football, running etc. At the same time I was a member of the primary school council, scout, class monitor, house captain and the project coordinator of the board of prefects. I learned many things from these activities. University of Toronto considers students extracurricular activities for the admission and outstanding academic performance influence to choose university of Toronto for my higher education. These extracurricular activities taught me leadership, discipline, time management, communication and productivity. Therefore I possess most of the basic requisites such as emotional stability, maturity, self reliance and independence in work. These are very important to successfully complete an advanced study program. Furthermore, to become a successful engineer these qualities are very important in future.
University of Toronto is the one of the well known universities in the world and its students are very talented and extraordinary. I am very much like to study with these talented students, because then only we learn more and explore everything. I learned more information about university of Toronto from e- search. If students do well in their academic studies then they have an opportunity to take part in the co-op program. Co-op program gives students to hands on experience in their relative field of study and also give an opportunity to think innovatively.
Moreover university of Toronto’s engineering faculty has modern equipments, tools and high tech computers. An engineer has to know each and every modern technology then only he can use them effectively and give a good output. Most of the University of Toronto’s former students take part in development of Canada in different fields.
Mainly U of T engineering faculty past out students give their support in automotive, aerospace, bio tech and marine etc. Therefore I would like to serve Canada as a perfect engineer from the University of Toronto.
In my school days I participated in various educational exhibition projects. Mostly we did our project as a group. Our project attracted others because we used some innovative engineering techniques in our projects. We were awarded for those projects and it was also encouraged me to study in engineering field. In Canada university of Toronto is the one of the universities which offers research programs. In my school days my teachers encouraged me to do my project in many ways. They gave me guidance, financial support and materials to complete the task successfully. Like my school teachers, U of T spends lot of resources for research programs to motivate their students. All in all, I am very much happy if I get an admission to study in university of Toronto.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
One of my ambitions is to become [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] an engineer since my father was a mechanical technician and I used to enjoy and admire how he resolved mechanical problems in very innovative ways.

I was ranked 790 in district level and 2435 in island level among nearly 60,000 students. But unfortunately my district rank was not in the district engineering allocation; therefore I was given an opportunity to study the Bachelor's degree programme in the University of Colombo. I do not have any other alternate options, therefore I have to study in the particular program. Sri Lankan universities admission system didn’t allow me to participate in the engineering program, since admission requirements and admission procedures for each year are decided by the University Grants Commission (UGC).

Undergraduate education in state universities is free but extremely limited. However, fewer than 16% (less than 16,000 students) of those who qualify get admission to state universities. Admission to the university system is based on the highly competitive GCE Advanced Level examination which comprises two years of schooling (Grade12 and Grade 13). Students' performance in this examination is the basis for selection and admission to universities.

During my school career I took part in various inter house athletic activities such as cricket, football, running etc. At the same time I was a member of the primary school council, scout, class monitor, house captain and the project coordinator of the board of prefects. I learned many things from these activities. The University of Toronto considers students' extracurricular activities for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] admission and outstanding academic performance influences my choice of the University of Toronto for my higher education. These extracurricular activities taught me leadership, discipline, time management, communication and productivity. Therefore I possess most of the basic requisites such as emotional stability, maturity, self reliance and independence in work. These are very important to successfully complete an advanced study program. Furthermore, to become a successful engineer these qualities will become very important in the future.

The University of Toronto is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] one of the best-known universities in the world and its students are very talented and extraordinary. I would very much like to study with these talented students, because only then we learn more and explore everything. I learned more information about The University of Toronto from e-search. If students do well in their academic studies then they have an opportunity to take part in the co-op program, which gives students [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] hands on experience in their relative field of study and also [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] an opportunity to think innovatively.

Moreover, the University of Toronto’s engineering faculty has modern equipment, tools and high tech computers. An engineer has to know each and every modern technology then only he can use them effectively and give a good output. Most of the University of Toronto’s former students take part in development of Canada in different fields.

Mainly U of T engineering faculty passed-out students give their support in automotive, aerospace, bio tech and marine etc. Therefore I would like to serve Canada as a perfect engineer from the University of Toronto.

In my school days I participated in various educational exhibition projects. Mostly we did our project as a group. Our project attracted others because we used some innovative engineering techniques[STRIKE] in our projects[/STRIKE]. We were rewarded for those projects and it [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] also encouraged me to study in theengineering field. In Canada the University of Toronto is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] one of the universities which offers research programs. In my school days my teachers encouraged me to do my project in many ways. They gave me guidance, financial support and materials to complete the task successfully. Like my school teachers, the U of T spends a lot on resources for research programs to motivate their students.

All in all, I would be very happy to gain admission to study in the University of Toronto.

Rover

kumarb22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Canada
This is an amazing forum to learn english. Thank you very much Rover.

I wanted improve my writing skill . I am really happy that I found this

Pushpa

Status
Not open for further replies.