• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

more darkly for servants?

In the following, the meaning seems reversed for "more darkly". If it describes "to cease being a servant", wouldn't it be more pleasurable? Does it describe "to stop being a lord"? What I'm saying is you prefer a lord to a servant, so if you get out of the status of servant, you are happier than you are out of lord. I need your clear answer.

ex)....In traditional societies, high status may have been extremely hard to acquire,but it was also comfortingly hard to lose. It was as difficult to stop being a lord as more darkly, it was to cease being a servant. What mattered was one's identity at birth.....
    Last edited by keannu; 19-Feb-2011 at 14:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: more darkly for servants?

Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    In the following, the meaning seems reversed for "more darkly". If it describes "to cease being a servant", wouldn't it be more pleasurable?
    In this context darkly is used figuratively; I think it means mysterious; it doesn't have much to do with happiness or pleasure.
    Does it describe "to stop being a lord"?
    I have an impression that in your example there is a missing second as; so the comparative more darkly refers to "it was to cease being a servant".
    What I'm saying is you prefer a lord to a servant, so if you get out of the status of servant, you are happier than you are out of lord. I need your clear answer.

ex)....In traditional societies, high status may have been extremely hard to acquire,but it was also comfortingly hard to lose. It was as difficult to stop being a lord as,more darkly, it was to cease being a servant. What mattered was one's identity at birth.....
    cheers

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: more darkly for servants?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskin View Post
    Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

cheers
    The answer doesn't seem clear to me, why is it mysterious? I mean stop being a servant or a lord, is it mysterious? What do you think is mysterious?