Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please make the following in bold clear for me.

Steve sold all but one share of his Apple stock, changing his balance sheet from a net worth of $200 million to $200 million, less taxes, in his pocket.

Is this saying "Steve changed his balance sheet from a net worth of $200 million to $200 million of cash (less taxes) that he can use anytime he wants"? I think I'm not sure of the difference between a net worth of $200 million and $200 million in his pocket. Does "the money in your pocket" mean the disposable income?

Thank you.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Yes.

"Less taxes" refers to capital gains tax. He would not have paid tax on the part of the 200 million dollars that came from an increase in the value of the stock until he sold it, which he now has done.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is a case of cash as opposed to assets. If you have a net worth of 200 million dollars, you might own 200 million dollars worth of stock, real estate, art, etc. It could also mean that you have 400 million dollars in assets and 200 million dollars in debts (or any other combination that will yield the same net amount).

If you want to convert your net worth to cash, you sell all of your assets, and pay off your debts. What you have left is still your net worth, but it is now ready cash that you can spend on anything, as opposed to the mathematical formula of assets minus liabilities.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's been a big help.

Thank you all. :)

Status